Author Topic: Are you a Biter or a Nipper?  (Read 445 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Are you a Biter or a Nipper?
« on: July 23, 2018, 07:36:57 AM »
While teaching my dentist how to fly fish, I noticed that he was keeping a sharp eye on my to see if I was biting my tippet while trimming my knots, as in the past, he constantly tells me that I should be using nippers and shouldn't bite my leader, as it has been doing some minor damage to my teeth.

So, in order to avoid another lecture, I used my nippers that day, except whenever I knew he was preoccupied and his attention was focused on rising trout...

So, my question for all of you is, are you a biter or a nipper when it comes to trimming your knots?!?

Thanks,
Todd, the closet biter...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Scott Voisin

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a Biter or a Nipper?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
I need to admit that I bite quite often but I know that I have damaged my teeth so as I get a little older (and wiser, ha) I use my nipper most of the time.  I actually was dumb enough a couple of years ago to bite some 12 or 15lb leader and I ended up with a semi-circle shaped nick in my front tooth.  Plus the nipper make a cleaner and closer cut.  Hopefully the nipper wins out.
Good things come to those who wade.
instagram.com/mostly_trout

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
Biter, and my dentist lectures me all the time. Especially when he has to perform bridges and crowns because of the  :-[abuse.
Slowly turning to a nipper as the crowned and bridge teeth will not perform like they once did before. Pretty sure my dentist played a role in that as well, keeping the eye teeth more rounded without a cutting edge.
If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:10:04 AM »
I'm using a nipper most of the time. Biting the tippet results in a not so square cut and you can have issues when threading the tippet for small flies.

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »
Nipper.

Terrified of the dentist. When you're well insured every excuse is good to get in there and pull, drill, poke and jab at everything in there.  I do everything I can to keep that guy at bay.

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 12:55:44 PM »
Biter, and my dentist lectures me all the time. Especially when he has to perform bridges and crowns because of the  :-[abuse.
Slowly turning to a nipper as the crowned and bridge teeth will not perform like they once did before. Pretty sure my dentist played a role in that as well, keeping the eye teeth more rounded without a cutting edge.

Gord and I have the same dentist and he rounded my pearly white biter too. I still bite if I am in a real hurry but otherwise I am a nipper now.

Johnnysensodine
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
definitely a nipper!
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 03:05:37 AM »
This Newb only uses nippers.  They are on a zinger on the right hand side of my chest pack, seems silly to not use them, and I can be more precise in my trimming
In the learning mode :)

Stanton Jack

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 06:24:43 AM »
Nipper now days for sure, and glad I made the change over.. I have friends I grew up with in Kamloops that have permanent grooves in their front choppers from biting monos and fluoro over the decades... Yikes!
"Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will"

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »
I use the nippers simply because when I bite the tippet I find it often doesn't give a sharp enough cut, and it compresses the tippet material (making it wider/flatter) - which sometimes makes it too tough for me to feed through the eyes of some flies.  The nippers give me a cleaner cut, so the leader maintains it rounded shape and fits though the hook eyes better (which means faster for me!).  I probably don't bite fast and hard enough... lol.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 05:37:24 PM »
99% of the time i use my nippers. I find it faster and gives me a more precised cut.
Any river, any time...

Taylor Culver

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 01:27:51 AM »
what chris ssaid! you bite your line to tie on a new fly just to nip it clean cause it doesn't go through the eye lol