Author Topic: Jig Hook Eyes  (Read 55 times)

Travis Rothfortune

• View Profile
Jig Hook Eyes
« on: October 11, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »
Does anyone know what the differences, if any, are between jig hooks with the eye in the more common vertical configuration vs the horizontal eye like you would find in the Dohiku HDN 302 SP hook?

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Jig Hook Eyes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 08:48:10 AM »
Great question and discussion!

In my opinion, there is very little difference, other than the fact that your tippet sits slightly lower and more centered in the gap between the shank and point of the hook, as that is the spot where your knot will sit when it's clinched down. The knot will sit at the 3 o'clock position on an eye with a vertical configuration, while the knot will sit lower on an eye with a horizontal configuration, which decreases (closes) the angle between the hook's shank and the tippet when setting the hook. Some would argue that this helps to improve a hooks ability to hold fish, but in my opinion is less significant with curved hook points (see my diagram below):

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:03:31 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Travis Rothfortune

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »
That makes sense. Thanks for the great reply Todd!

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 05:04:29 AM »
I find the transverse eye has the ability to be used as a stop when applying oversized slotted beads. For myself this is more important than a suspected hooking improvement. I see very limited difference in hooking power. This design has in some cases allowed for a 3.8mm small slot bead to be set on a size #16-18 jig hook. Also is some what dependent on bead manufacturer design. You can in some cases fit a normal slot 4.0 mm bead on hooks #14-16 with a transverse eye. This then allows a considerable amount of tungsten bead weight to the jig hook for very small flies for faster and deeper water. Preventing the oversized beads from sliding over the hook eye with the transfers eyes to me is a practical solution.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:06:07 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia