Author Topic: Preferred nymphing method  (Read 538 times)

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Preferred nymphing method
« on: October 15, 2018, 08:06:18 AM »
If the comp anglers here were not subject to comp rules, how would you nymph in a typical medium-sized stream?  I'm assuming that the stream has normal flow and that you're not trying to match the nymphal phase of any hatch.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Preferred nymphing method
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 08:37:31 AM »
Great question, Alex!

I'd use a leader that's longer than the length restriction that is enforced for competition angling (maximum length of twice the length of the fly rod).

Other than that, I'd still fish with the same techniques and fly patterns that I'm using for competitions...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
No fly line, just a 100 foot "leader".

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 12:39:49 PM »
I generally set up with a French Camou Leader. Colour is dependent on light, water clarity and spookiness of fish. So this could be a camouflage leader to a bright pink, orange or chartreuse. 10 foot rod with a good clean breaking reel. Leaders is tied to 20 pound running line of 30 yards and they rest of the reel is filled with a 20 pound braided backing. My indicators are either hends or home made. both work very well. As for the reel one spool with a nymphing line to be compliant with the FIPPS / MOUCHE rules only. The other spare spool is what I used all summer.

Works very well.

https://youtu.be/e0TmJWOyB-o

Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 04:32:24 AM »
Thanks, Gary. 

Do I understand you correctly to say that you use the Hands sighters when you're not in a comp?  If so, could you tell me what weight fly line backing they're equivalent to (i.e., 20 lb., 30 lb., etc.) so I can make some myself?  And about how long are they?

Alex
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:38:31 AM by Alex Argyros »

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »
Alex, there are two sighters in the photo. The shorter one from Hends would be the one I use when I need to switch to a floating sighter technique. I grease the sighter so that it will float on the surface. Here I use something called Dilly Wax but any floatant you prefer would work. This would be more for shallow slow water in a long line technique. The pound test diameter equivalent would be abot 80 pound braid. A person would need that diameter to float the indicator and to suspend small lighter double nymphs.
The other sighter is simply 20 pound braided dacron that I use for short lining.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:04:27 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia