Author Topic: Loch style rods  (Read 1228 times)

Stanton Jack

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Loch style rods
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 08:20:45 AM »
Another rod worthy of mention is the Loomis GLX Native Run 10ft/6wt. I picked up mine last year and totally impressed with it. Being designed to throw sink tips and weighted flies it excels in loch style as it can throw a tungsten bead or type 7 line with ease. The tip has plenty of flex and sensitivity (I use mine for nymphing Bulls/steelies) and the butt is similar in holding power to my 8wt!

There has been plenty of mention of Sage, but consider trying some Loomis models particularly the GLX blanks. They're great and were a big part of the light high mod movement of the early 90's.
"Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will" - Waylon Jennings

Kevin Cucheron

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • BCCFFL Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: Loch style rods
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »
Hey Matt,
The Echo 3 is probably a good bet as I know Johnny loves his and that guy kinda knows his stuff. In saying that though in the future you may want to check out some of the European rod builders for lake and nymph rods.

I have been fishing a rod from Norway the Eikre Aquila 10 7 weight for a year and a half now and absolutely love it. I went from a Sage One 10 6 weight which is quite a fast rod so I had to slow my cast down a bit when getting used to the Eikre. Since I have done that I find that I can cast flies just as far with much less shoulder fatigue by the end of a comp or fishing trip. In addition the softer tip holds smaller fish yet the stiffer butt lands big fish. Oxymoron I know but it really works.

I remember a couple years ago when someone on this site posted that they preferred slower action rods over fast action. At that time Vance and I scoffed at him because we thought you needed to bomb every cast as far as you could . Well as usual we learn and get a bit smarter over time and for me anyway I now think like he did.

Good luck with you quest.
Team Kingfisher member

If someone says you fish too much, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.