Author Topic: Flyrods on airplanes  (Read 389 times)

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
Flyrods on airplanes
« on: December 03, 2018, 07:21:40 PM »
Hi guys,
I was wondering if you could share you knowledge about taking flyrods on airplanes.
I am fortunate enough to be able to go to Terrace this December to tey to catch a steelhead or two.
I want to take my speyrod and a single hand with me, both tubes are aroumd 43". I am not sure if The tubes will be allowed as carey ons because of their lengths. A friend suggested to take a large duffle bag and put the tubes im there with the restbof my stuff.
How do you guys do it?
Thanks for the info
Any river, any time...

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Flyrods on airplanes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 02:10:40 AM »
I can give you my experience fro this past summer..... It depends!

Different airports have different regualations.  The only one I had a problem with was Belfast airport.  It was a security issue not an airline issue.  I had to check my tube and was not happy about it.  It arrived in Scotland just fine, but I was worried until I saw it at baggage claim.  Call ahead to the airports you will be using to get an idea of the regulations.
In the learning mode :)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 04:38:43 AM »
I haven't had any issues up to this point. I always carry mine in a protective case or in its tube. As Jay said, it's best to check with your airline and be prepared to check it in if the agent at the check-in counter makes you stow it in the cargo hold. Bring some duct tape and firmly attach it to your luggage if it has to be checked.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:53:50 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 05:40:09 AM »
Airline and desk specific.   Just show up a little early to be able to deal with the nonsense. I was once told by the airline I had to check them in. I ignored them and proceeded to security which let me through without a problem. This approach assumes you have enough time to double back and check them in. On the way back my friend had to argue with the Airline again on the Cuban side.  Took 3 minutes; they eventually let him through. I went through 2 desks away and they didn't say a word.

Those cases represent 5% of the time.  Usually nobody makes a fuss.

Might want to use this opportunity as a good excuse to invest in a rod bag.  Looks less suspicious than walking around with what is essentially a baseball bat.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »
I check mine on always and use either a suitcase or large duffel bag, depending on the length.  If you check it in, there's never a hassle.  That being said, there is a risk your equipment might get separated from you and lost.

Going to Terrace I would expect there to not be a problem as a lot of people carry that type of gear going there.  I see plenty of people carry on fly rods and not have a problem despite the fact that the rules are pretty clear you cannot.  Considering that it is clearly not allowed by the written rules though, it always makes it a gamble.

On longer routes, all it takes is one person to say 'no' at either security or the agent desk and you suddenly have a problem with someone who barely speaks a language you have in common!  And you just hope that for whatever reason you aren't late for the flight because the previous flight got delayed by someone who was too slow to board a plane... lol.  I've been in more rushes between flights than I care to share!  Lol.

Sometimes I think it would just be better to fedex the darn things on ahead to a friend who is there and save the trouble!

I personally like to minimize my delays.  But, I also expect there wouldn't be a problem with such a local route.

Hope you get some nice fish!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 07:45:04 AM »
Hi Guys,
Just came back from my trip yesterday so I wanted to let you guys know how the rod transportation went.
It was actually really easy. I didn't end up calling air Canada ahead of times as what they would have told me over the Phone could have been different from what they say in person when I'm there. So I just showed up, at the check-in they called a security guy, he looked at my rod, it was all fine and he said I am allowed to take it with me on the plane as long as there are no hooks attached to it. So it was easy, the rodtube fit in the overhead luggage compartment. No issues at all going there or back. It was an awesome trip. Only caught 1 beautiful steely in the 3 days and my friend an other one  and a few bulls but it was so worth it.
Thank you guys for all the comments and input!
Merry Christmas
Istvan
Any river, any time...