Author Topic: Rod for Euro nymphing  (Read 1294 times)

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Rod for Euro nymphing
« on: December 17, 2018, 03:29:40 AM »
I had a bit of a mishap yesterday and my Sage ESN (10', 3wt.) is in Neptune's hands.  So, I'm looking for a rod (and reel) to replace it.  I nymph almost exclusively and the river I typically fish does have the occasional bruiser (over 20"), fish that my Sage handled with ease.  I'd appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks,
Alex

Francois Dallaire

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rod for Euro nymphing
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:15:45 AM »
If you have the budget the best nymphing rod I know of is the Maxia. 

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:00:38 AM »
Thanks, Francois.

Do you mean the 0 or the 2 wt.?  If the latter, does it give one the ability to land the occasional larger fish?

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:34:04 AM »
The 2wt is pretty standard.  Although one day i'd love to try the zero.

It will do an excellent job at tippet protection which will help you with bigger fish.  The rest is all on the angler though. 

What it won't do is wobble like a limp noodle for upwards of 2 seconds on every cast like your previous rod did.  It'll have more of a rapier feel to it. Until you hook a fish at which point it will bend, and bend, and bend and keep bending protecting that tippet.

In all cases look to Europe for your next nymphing rod.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 06:15:32 AM »
Check with Ernie Kalwa, a member of this forum. He often has some great deals on nymhping rods! Great guy and great pricing on Cortland rods! You can email Ernie at info@elktradingco.com
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:19:02 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Ernie Kalwa

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »
Thanks Todd. Yes, my ELK Trading Co is the Canadian authorized dealer for Cortland, including their great Competition Nymphing rods, ultra-thin nymphing fly-lines, leaders, etc.

SPECIAL DEAL for Canadians - extended to December 31st 2018!!!

Cortland Competition Nymphing rod, 10.5ft 3wt 4pc brand-new with factory warranty for $295 CAD all-inclusive shipped anywhere in Canada by Expedited Parcel. Payment accepted by Interac EMT only.  Current stock of four (4) rods to sell and ship PRONTO! We also have one 4wt rod in stock too, same great discounted price.

Here's the link to read about them: https://www.cortlandline.com/collections/rods/products/competition-nymph-fly-rods

Limited Lifetime Warranty is provided through Cortland USA.  No shipping outside North America required for repairs/replacements.

NOTE: We can also supply the MKII top-of-the line nymphing rod on special order only (6-8 week delivery timeframe):
https://www.cortlandline.com/collections/rods/products/mkii-nymph-fly-rods

PM me or email info@elktradingco.com with your shipping address and any questions.

ACT FAST for this great DEAL!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:49:33 AM by Ernie Kalwa »

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 03:53:22 PM »
Eikre Fly has a few exceptional Euro Nymphing Rods. They range in price from 620-790.00 CDN (not many rods at that price point with this quality of graphite being offered worldwide). They have mostly 3 and 4 weights that come in a msi57 graphite technology which is similar to IM12 graphite scale. Several of the Alberta guys use these rods and are very pleased with them. Many of the guys fish the Bow River with them and we all know of the larger trout on this river.  More importantly both the linear and rotational recover is soft enough to hold onto smaller fish as well, which is the big plus. Both the rotational recovery and linear recovery add to the targeting ability of the rod with more accuracy. All the people using these rods have stated that these rods easily manage very large fish.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:56:56 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd. GAIA Certified Instructor
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 05:00:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies folks.  On a slightly different note, does anyone know what the preferred rods of the competitors in the world championships in Italy were?

Alex

Ivo Balinov

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 09:54:37 AM »
Hi Alex,

From what I know there is some variation in what the top anglers fish with, but for the most part the top European anglers fish with European made rods. The truth remains that Europeans are still on the top when it comes to river fishing and they know best how to make equipment meeting the demands for this (this being said there are also some good American rods, made with European advice).

Most of the guys from the Spanish gold winning team now fish with Arcay rods. Maxia remains popular among many anglers from different countries. Hanak's new nano rod is also getting a lot of praise and that is what the Czech team fishes with. 
Cortland seems to be getting some traction in the lower price range rods.

My personal preferences (not that I compare with any of those top anglers:) are: Maxia MX 2wt, 10ft for short line nymphing styles (the Czech and Polish styles). Arcay Kingfisher 10.6, 2/3 wt for long range (e.g. the Spanish and French styles)

That's my two cents,
Ivo

David Forgeron

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 07:44:09 AM »
Hi Alex,
I have a Maxia 10'6" 3wt on consignment at Drift in TO..
Virtually new.
Great for mid to larger rivers.
Gunga Galunga

Andy Larkin

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 03:39:24 PM »
Make sure you wash that skunk off it before you buy it though!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

David Forgeron