Author Topic: hard water vs soft water maybe?  (Read 469 times)

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
hard water vs soft water maybe?
« on: January 04, 2019, 08:21:27 AM »
So I've been experimenting with CDC dry flies and since everything is frozen I usually just throw them in a bowl of water instead of testing in the field.

I was happy with the results and decided I would tie a small army of these over the holiday at my parent's house.  I tied about 25 and one night decided to throw 5 is a glass of water. 

Within 5 minutes only one fly remained at the surface. Dejected I put my army aside hoping applying floatant back home and retesting would salvage my efforts.  I flew back home and when came testing time I decided to test the same 5 flies with no floatant again.  All 5 floated over night.  Shaking the bowl of water to cause waves would not bring the flies down.

Maybe this is all in my head but I'm very curious as to what happened.  The water is noticeably harder at my parents' house; emptying and entire bottle of shampoo on your head will results in just about no foam.  Perhaps there are some ppl here with studies in particular field that could explain this. 

Only three things changed in my experiments:  Soft vs hard water, bowl vs glass; my parents have a wine cellar and I don't ;)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: hard water vs soft water maybe?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »
Got to be the wine cellar... lol.

That's interesting.  No doubt that the temperature of water affects how things float, and I see that on lakes with a floating line especially around turnover time.  Though it is pretty subtle and really only easy to see in very flat waters.  Colder water being more dense, and hence allowing things to float better.  But it is pretty minor - though might impact something like a CDC fly over a long time of sitting there.

Could there also be something in the water (for treatment by the government) that breaks down the oil's ability to help float the CDC?  That is a chemical reaction.  I don't know much about that, but it wouldn't surprise me.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Taylor Culver

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: hard water vs soft water maybe?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 12:06:31 PM »
When you’re fishing them do the good ol “whip n dry” technique and they’ll float lol

but what Chris said is most plausible. Cold water doesn’t saturate the fly as fast as warmer water so give em a true field test and maybe it will answer something??