Author Topic: 2019 Ontario Fly Fishing Championship, June 22 & 23 – Centre Wellington, Ontario  (Read 2288 times)

Ernie Kalwa

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile
Hey, thanks Istvan!

Everybody get a good night's sleep, and see all competitors at Confederation Park on Queen Street East, Fergus at 6:30am SHARP tomorrow (Saturday June 22).

Tight lines,
-Ernie.

Please frequent and support our Sponsors for this Event!
www.smartangling.com
www.driftoutfitters.com

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Good luck to all of the competitors! I hope that the fish are willing and the weather is perfect for your event!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Ernie Kalwa

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile
Hi guys!
Please see attached the “unofficial” results from Day 1 of the tourney today. Good angling!!!  Today was a fun day, and hard-work with the full sunny weather. Tomorrow will be even warmer!
Lots of us agree: we’re learning and improving as anglers, thanks to the competitor-controlled format, where we can watch each other and learn what to do (and sometimes, like in my case – what not to do) 😊
Tomorrow’s schedule: same as today EXCEPT: Show up 7am at Confederation Park, and bring the white top-copy of the score-sheets from yesterday, for those that still need to hand them in to me.
Remember also: EVERYBODY PLEASE REMOVE ALL OUR BEAT-MARKERS (CAUTION TAPE AND FLAG-MARKERS) FROM ALL THE BEATS AFTER SESSION 4 AT 5PM.  I don’t want to have to go around to the beats and remove the stuff, as it was a lot of work for me and a few kind volunteers in marking the beats on Friday night.

Many thanks to our Volunteer from last year’s Nationals – my friend and fellow fly-angler, Demo Divaris, who is controlling this-afternoon and all day tomorrow the bottom-beat-half at Wilson’s Flats!  Please consider sharing lots of your successful flies with him!
Keefer and Ivo: Please bring prizes from our Sponsors!

6pm tomorrow: Confederation Park – informal Awards Ceremony and group photos!

Text or email me with questions/comments/concerns.
Tight lines,
-Ernie.
Mobile: 519-240-9663

Please frequent and support our Sponsors for this Event!
www.smartangling.com 
www.driftoutfitters.com

Ernie Kalwa

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile
Hey guys,
That was a fun competition! See below and attached, the final Official Results from our 2-day tournament.
Thanks again to everybody for participating and for the FFC Committee for helping me coordinate the event.
Tomorrow I’ll post the results to our OneDrive shared folder, plus photos from Kristy Goyette.
All the best, and I’ll follow-up soon with a Survey via Google Forms for all of you to help me with feedback on how to make the next Ontario Championship even better.
Tight lines,
-Ernie.

Mike Learmonth

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Congratulations to the individual medalists and team medalists. And thanks Ernie for stepping up to host this event. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated! Looks like it was a fun event.

ML
Team Kingfisher member

Ernie Kalwa

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile
Hey, thanks so much, Mike!  Yes, it was a really fun tournament for everybody. The competitor-controlled format allowed everybody to learn lots from our peers of better fishing techniques. As a bonus we raised a bit of money out of the net proceeds for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Centre Wellington. Final numbers pending later this week... 

Break tippets, :-)
-Ernie.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Nice job Keefer, Clint, and Ian!  Great job putting on the event Ernie!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:39:22 AM by Chris Puchniak »
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Here are the NRPs that were earned at the 2019 Ontario Fly Fishing Championship (4 river sessions):

Congratulations to the medalists, competitors, volunteers, and organizers on another great event in Ontario!!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Ernie Kalwa

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile
Hi folks,

I wanted to extend a huge thank-you to everybody involved in helping make this event a huge success:

Thanks to Rob Cesta at Drift Outfitters in Toronto for sponsoring the Medals, and providing prizes to the winners.

Thanks to Ivo Balinov at SmartAngling.com for providing prizes to the winners, and the scoring template, and much other advice, before, during and after the tournament.

Thanks to our President, Todd Oishi and the FFC Committee including Ian Troup, Keefer Pitfield, Ivo Balinov, and Colin Huff for helping me plan and coordinate the event.

Thanks to Demo Divaris of Waterloo, for volunteering his time and some great action-photos of our anglers at Wilson's Flats for the competition sessions.

Thanks to all the competitors for helping make it a fun and successful tournament, and for those who helped mark the river beats, and removing caution-tape and flags after the last session.

Thanks to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Centre Wellington for loaning us the clipboards, pencils, and zippered pouches.

Thanks to Deb Dalziel of the Centre Wellington Tourism office for helping me schedule this event.

Thanks to my wife, Elysia DeLaurentis for all her support and counselling, and to my team-mate Tom Irvine.

Best wishes to Madoka Myers of Colorado, USA who registered but had to cancel out from her trip. We always look forward to seeing and fishing with Madoka at future Canadian competitions!

Did I miss anybody? I hope not.

Please see our official post-event press-release attached.

Here's our Event Photo Gallery Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KERGu8TbHDqxsEGZ7

Let me know if you have any photos from the event to upload to be included in the Photo Album.

Watch for a post-event survey coming soon to all anglers who participated in this Championship.

Tight lines,
-Ernie.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:29:34 AM by Ernie Kalwa »

Ernie Kalwa

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile

Please see the Final Official Results attached as a PDF.

John Wilkinson

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
2019 Ontario Fly Fishing Championship,
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2019, 06:52:10 AM »
Well done Ernie and everyone involved! Looked like a good time! ;) :)

Johnnyneedsmoreairmiles
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Ernie Kalwa

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile
Hey, thanks John!

It was definitely a fun time for everybody!  Thanks to those for for participating.

I sent a post-event feedback survey to the competitors -- but I'd appreciate feedback from anybody who couldn't attend but wanted to, or those who might register for future Ontario championships. Just make sure to include a note in the comments field of the survey saying that you were not a competitor at this one, but that you would like to attend a future tournament.

It should take less than 7 minutes to answer our survey questions on this Google Form (not a virus link): https://forms.gle/ESsg6tkfYSX3Y3qx7.

Tight lines,
-Ernie.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Outstanding job, Ernie!!

I'm so pleased to see that events are now happening in Ontario on a regular basis. Well done!