Author Topic: Traditional Czech nymphing  (Read 246 times)

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Traditional Czech nymphing
« on: January 29, 2019, 11:40:54 AM »
I was wondering if any competitors still fish in the traditional Czech nymphing style, such as that associated with Vladi Trzebunia. 

If not, is it because modern Euro techniques are more successful?

Alex

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Traditional Czech nymphing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 07:09:36 AM »
I can't say that I know anyone who fishes the traditional style - which I assume you mean a 6-8' leader as opposed to a 15-20' leader and fishing very close?  Let me know if I misinterpreted.

I think those I know still fish very close at times.  But I think most have gone to a longer thin leader as opposed to using a short leader with a fly line.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:58:10 AM »
"which I assume you mean a 6-8' leader as opposed to a 15-20' leader and fishing very close?"

That's exactly what I was getting at.  So, Chris, is the reason that this style of fishing has largely been abandoned that a longer, thinner leader works better, or are there other considerations?

Alex

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
I fish traditional style, but only with a longer leader at times.

Often I am using double the length of my fly rod (18 - 20 feet), but on smaller rivers and streams I prefer to fish with traditional Czech nymphing technique with 6 to 8 foot leaders, as was taught to me by Jiri Klima at his Masterclass in the Czech Republic back in 2006. I also studied with Vladi on the River San in Poland, back in 2007, and use his style as well at times.

I would say that for me,  the biggest evolution in my nymphing techniques has been the style and materials that I am using for tying my nymphs...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:48:39 AM »
Thank you, Todd.

Could I ask you for a clarification?  When you say that you often fish the traditional style but with longer leaders (18-20 ft.), how is that different from what is currently mainstream Euro nymphing?  I imagine that with such a long leader you're using a sighter, so the setup seems to me to be pretty much the same as most comp anglers currently use.  Or, are you not using a sighter?  If so, how are you detecting strikes when they are not evident visually?

BTW, I've seen a video of Jiri Klima teaching his Masterclass, and there is something very poetic about the way he fishes.  I've often wondered if this style would hold up in the current comp scene and, if so, why more anglers aren't using it?

Alex

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 07:12:13 AM »
Yeah, I don't use a short leader anymore myself simply because it is far more limiting.  It works fine for me out to about 12 feet or so, but beyond that, the sag and wind drag is too high for my comfort level. 

But with a more modern euro leader (18-20'), I can fish close (within 10-15') just as well as I could with a short leader traditional set up, yet have the flexibility to fish out to about 40-50' as well (and with a sighter joined to about 6-8' of tippet).  I could see that if I was just dapping a fly from a grassy shoreline to the water just below my feet in a small creek I could use a short leader, and it might be a little easier (getting the line out of the tip and such), but I fish creeks here that are 3' across and 6 inches deep (literally step over them), and I still fish a long leader simply because I haven't found it to have a hindrance, yet offers a lot more flexibility.

Only time I use short leader myself is when fishing dries with a short rod in heavily forested waters or with streamers, but that's not what we are talking about.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:46:00 AM »
In competition or not, I fish the traditional Czech nymphing style (under the rod tip/ short leader) only when the condition dictate i.e. when I could approach the fish to a close distance without spooking the fish (colored water/ fast moving water with ripples).
But many times you can't go too close to the fish so in these cases Euro nymphing might be a more suitable method. My 2 cents.

Graham Byrnes

• 4 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 11:02:30 PM »
I love to czech nymph when i can , i just normally dont have suitable water here in Australia-except for maybe at the start of the season with high water.  (its VERY effective with the right water)
I'm typically more likely to "french nymph" upstream with short drift over shallow water.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:05:40 PM by Graham Byrnes »

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 12:26:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies. 

I'm wondering if anyone besides Todd has had any experience with the Jiri Klima way of fishing (which is as very different traditional Czech nymphing as it is from the way most comp anglers fish today).

Alex

Graham Byrnes

• 4 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 10:23:26 PM »
Also love that style Alex and i would be very interested in what others have to say..
I find it best when i want a bit of swing (or deaddrift) at a greater distance, also nice to cast a flyline occasionally but without the weight of a typical flyline (and not too much sag if i still want to "highstick".

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »
Also love that style Alex and i would be very interested in what others have to say..
I find it best when i want a bit of swing (or deaddrift) at a greater distance, also nice to cast a flyline occasionally but without the weight of a typical flyline (and not too much sag if i still want to "highstick".

No doubt!  I like when I can throw a dry fly with a real line.  I really like nymphing because it is so effective, and the fish's take is so close and direct, but you have to like throwing a 2wt line and a small dry fly 60' upstream.

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 04:42:00 AM »
Yeah, casting with a traditional fly line is fun.  It's even fun just touching one.

Now, Todd knows about this much more than I do, since he took a class with Jiri Klima, but as far as I can tell from watching a few videos, Klima has a very specific way of fishing.  He fishes two small jig nymphs, point and dropper, with a light fly line and rather short leader.  His casts are short and upstream, somewhat reminiscent of the way Joe Humphreys used to fish (minus the heavy fly line and tuck).

Do I have that right, Todd?

Alex

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 08:56:23 AM »
Whats a fly line?