Author Topic: clear photo with lots to talk about (me)  (Read 866 times)

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
clear photo with lots to talk about (me)
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:28:44 AM »

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: clear photo with lots to talk about (me)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 03:33:42 AM »
This is me next to my 9YO son just having a quick flick while watching him- there are many issues with what i am doing here and thought it would be a good video for the forum for people to comment on, dont be shy its here for criticism and i know there are issues... ill start off by saying i didnt have control at the start of the drift and i didnt cast with enough wrist! THIS IS HERE TO HELP OTHERS dont be shy to critisise..

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 03:34:44 AM »
sorry it is a link, it may have been too big in file size? (i tried)

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 03:45:44 AM »
doesnt seem to be as clear as it should be- let me know if you guys want me to work out better clarity (should be much better resolution)

Francois Dallaire

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 05:55:52 AM »
100% clear for me.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 06:21:35 AM »
Looks great! I would recommend that you extend the drift equally as far downstream of your location, as there is just as much opportunity to hook a fish downstream, as there is upstream. You will also have a heightened level of sensitivity for strike detection due to the tightness of the line and direct contact with your fly...

Also... I would recommend a lower profile given the depth of the water. Also, I personally prefer clothing and headwear that allows me to effectively blend into my surroundings. I would personally never wear a brightly-coloured or white hat, as that is the highest and most visible part of your body.

I would also recommend that you fully extend your arm and keep your rod more parallel to the water, which will extend your reach up to 3 feet and thereby allow you to reduce the amount of fly line/leader that is suspended between the rod tip and surface of the water, which in turn should enhance your strike detection.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
thankyou Todd good comments..

Interestingly -the clothing i am wearing is a lot darker than it looks in the video (including the hat)... But obviously i need to go much darker to suit surroundings

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 06:46:06 PM »
I like the jigging of the rod at the end of the drift.  That can always be a trigger.
You lob the fly as opposed shooting it closer to the water - nothing wrong with that as the lob actually helps to get the fly down a bit faster as it has a vertical trajectory, but a lower profile cast (with a tuck cast) will get some good shots under the brushes across the creek (unfair though because that may be what you are moving towards next).

As Todd said, perhaps a little lower profile would be good (though the water looks stained so you can probably  get away with a fair bit there) and a longer drift for sure on at least every second or third drift.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 09:52:30 PM »
Thanks Chris,
Ive actually developed a few bad habits fishing mainly small steams, now im making an effort to intentionally put more wrist into the cast and trying to "tuck" more.. Old habits are hard to break though especially when you get used to "lobbing" with accuracy. (im finding it a bit like learning to cast again).. I normally water load and side cast to get under branches.

For everyone's info, I was actually just messing around a bit here (hence not keeping a low profile next to the shallow water)- My 9YO son is just out of the shot, his first day with a fly rod (i set him up czech style to make it easier for him)..
The river is the "Rubicon river" about a hour drive NE of Melbourne, Australia... Water temp was 75degF (24degC) about a week ago with more very hot weather since (poor fish, i have to look elsewhere till things cool down, hope the trout get through it)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:14:21 PM by Graham Byrnes »

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 10:17:33 PM »
He was going great till his big brother poured water over his back while trying to learn :(
As pointed out to me by others- i forgot to make him wear glasses :( 

This is about 1/4 of an electrofish area a few years ago. locals tell me there were 33 trout caught in the test (this stream is mainly self supporting) .. wonder how it compares to other countries with a similar stream? (i would think that is low)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:53:35 PM by Graham Byrnes »

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 08:24:04 AM »
That's nice looking water.  Those temperatures sound nasty... lol.

Do you have coarse fish other than trout in that river?

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 02:12:31 PM »
I want to add with respect to the 'lobbing', I didn't mean this to necessarily be an all-bad comment.  Certainly there are times when lobbing is the best way to get the fly out (especially when there is little backcast space yet little overhead obstacles).  Hey, any way you can get the fly out works for me.  Sometimes I just chuck the darn fly out because there is no other option.  Flyfishng may be poetic in its form, but nymphing a river may throw all that to the side pretty fast if you want to catch fish.

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 09:56:33 PM »
Nothing wrong with lobbing as you say, I do struggle getting distance on larger streams though.

The stream above has English perch and an occasional Carp that i know of... Its also very likely to have river blackfish (native Australia) and possibly tench and roach in the slow pools.
Carp are a massive problem in Australia they are messing up many of our rivers (huge populations in some streams).. They are not so much of a problem in our freestone streams but they are still there.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 12:16:52 PM »
Yeah, lobbing isn't great for distance.  Out to 25' or a tad more maybe the limit?

Thank god we got "coarse' fish in many ways, or else a lot of water that would kill trout would be completely void.  I'm a sucker for suckers.   :)

Graham Byrnes

• 5 Star Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 03:08:05 PM »
yea so true,
We have some great natives that prefer the water a bit warmer, this stream feeds into the goulburn river which has Murray cod. yellow belly and a few other Australian natives further downstream..

Only maybe 1hour drive from the above photo we can catch fish like this photo (on fly)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:10:03 PM by Graham Byrnes »