Author Topic: What do you do if you wear off the ripper label ?  (Read 403 times)

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
What do you do if you wear off the ripper label ?
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:58:23 AM »
Hey guys , may sound like a dumb question but anyone have suggestions when the label on your tippet  spool wears out and you can no longer read it? If they have the band around it then itís usually not a problem but sometimes it gets lost and/ or didnít have it stamped on it . Also, I canít tell the difference between mono and flouro by eye , any suggestions ?

Thanks ,

David

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: What do you do if you wear off the ripper label ?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »
Not sure on that - usually when the spools wear down, I take that as a sign that the material has gone past its shelf life, but that isn't always the case with flouro of course.  If in doubt, I always scrap it.

But can you put a adhesive label on the spools again?  Something just from an office shop?  I usually write in permanent marker on the label what it is so I can see it better.

Not sure on telling the two apart.  I believe flouro is better able to be straightened out if it gets twisted and doesn't coil, whereas mono is easy to shape and remains in a coil rather easily.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:27:26 PM »
I use a sharp point nail or screw and engrave the tippet X-size and pound-test rating on the side of the spool for the exact reasons that you've described. Works very well...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 04:38:45 AM »
Awesome , great suggestion, thank you sir  :)

Francois Dallaire

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 06:41:59 AM »
Any company that can't produce spool labels that will survive the elements isn't getting my money twice.