Author Topic: Net  (Read 470 times)

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Net
« on: June 08, 2019, 01:45:36 PM »
I was wondering what nets the comp anglers here are using.  Also, what is your feeling about fine mesh vs. rubberized nets. 

Alex

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Net
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:27:29 AM »
I prefer rubberized mesh nets to minimize the risks of harming fish when they're in the net. There's also less chance of embedding and tangling your hook when using rubberized nets.

I also prefer the fine mesh (rubberized) nets, as they're much easier and faster to move about underwater when attempting to net a fish.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:42:13 AM »
Thanks, Todd. 

Do you have a preferred brand and model?

Alex

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 08:10:24 AM »
I used to use the Frabill, and still like it.  Right now I use the snowbee 3 in 1 net as I find it great for travel having both a lake and river net in the same setup.

Its a fine webbing net that is rubberized.  It seems to move through the water well and is durable.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 04:25:05 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Now, for a slightly different question.  I've noticed that most (if not all) comp anglers use a net that either is, or resembles, a Frabill.  Presumably, this is because a large net allows an angler to net the fish quickly.  But, when I've used a net like this, I've had a problem with flies getting stuck in the netting.  Do comp anglers find that to be a problem?

Alex

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:19:02 AM »
I'm using a net with a rubberized fine mash and I don't have problems with hooks stuck in it. Of course it's happening every now and then but that's not an issue. Especially with barbless hooks.

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 08:41:51 AM »
What net do you use, Ionut?

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 12:59:56 PM »
Soldarini :-)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 01:30:04 PM »
I have also been using the Snowbee 3-in-1 landing net with a rubber-coating mesh. I have been using it for the past 3 years, and haven't once had a hook get stuck in the mesh (I'm using barbless hooks of course). It's also a great competition traveling net, as it cuts down on the amount of gear you need to pack, and works just as well for stillwater angling as it does for rivers...

Here's a link to an online shop that sells the net: https://us.seriousfishing.com/16787.html?currency=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwov3nBRDFARIsANgsdoHM3jmq1OlgIasMFirI7__teYzwkVAWG5fowd7tT88rOq5oNBlsPy0aAjaOEALw_wcB
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 01:34:22 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...