Author Topic: Sasamat Lake, Loch-Style Fly Fishing Competition - Sunday, June 10, 2012  (Read 2187 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
The next Loch-Style Fly Fishing Competition, which is a part of the "2012 Summer Series", will be held on Sunday, June 10, 2012, at Sasamat Lake near Belcarra Park in Port Moody, British Columbia (8:00am - 4:30pm).

Sasamat Lake, Loch-Style Fly Fishing Mini-Comp - Sunday, June 10, 2012

Schedule of Events:Boats go in the water around 8:00am
Session 1: 9:00am to 12:00pm
Session 2: 1:00pm to 4:00pm
12:00pm - 1:00pm The Youth Team members will be serving a hot dog and burger lunch, as a part of their fundraising projects, so please bring along some cash to help support their cause.

Details:
1.   Max # of Entrants: 40
2.   FIPS-Mouche Rules
3.   Entry Fees/Payouts: None
4.   Eligible Fish Species: Rainbow and Cutthroat trout.
5.   Minimum length for scoring points: 20cm.
6.   Number of Sessions: 2 Sessions.
7.   Time Period for Each Session: 3 hours.
8.   Number of Competitors per Team: 2 competitors (Individual Competitors will be paired up).
9.   A competition venue (Sasamat Lake) "no-fishing policy" will apply to all competitors affective as of 8:00am Monday, June 4th, 2012.

This competition, as well as the rest of the Summer Series, will allow participants a unique opportunity to participate in a series of friendly-spirited competitions, and to gain some additional competition experience - through the sharing of our collective knowledge and supporting each other.

Please mark this event on your calendar and respond here or email me at: toishis@uniserve.com to confirm that you're able to attend. I really want to encourage newcomers and fly fishers of all skill levels to come out and see what it's all about. Please keep in mind that it costs absolutely nothing to enter, so you've got absolutely nothing to lose...

Cheers,
Todd
:)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:14:44 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Coquitlam BC Canada
    • View Profile
Count me in Todd. Will most likely have an extra seat in my boat for some one who doesn't have a boat but would like to attend. 8)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:15:22 AM by Todd Oishi »
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
I am in too.  It will be good to see you there Vance.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:15:52 AM by Todd Oishi »
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

www.skookumsflybox.com

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
I have to  look at my relocation to BC seriously with all of these competitions going on... You guys are doing a terrific job, congratulation!!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:16:26 AM by Todd Oishi »

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Here are some basic images of the venue - one compliments of Rodney's "Fishing with Rod" web site...

It's a good sized lake (50 acres) without being too large with some real depth to it - and sandy white beaches for basking in the sun!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:16:51 AM by Todd Oishi »

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

www.skookumsflybox.com

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
Thanks for posting those photos Chris!

I'm also very please to announce that there will be plenty of extra drogues on hand, as the Pro Models that were generously donated/sponsored by Don Stokes and Minn Kota arrived on Friday afternoon!!  :D

Please remember that electric and gas motors are not allowed on Sasamat Lake, so bring along your oars! This is a heavily stocked lake, so the fishing should be very productive during this event!

I hope to see all of you there and a few new faces as well!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:36:18 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
I might be able to make this one, I just have to check with the boss. Whonnok happened on my wife's birthday... not a chance I could have made that one.

No boat, but I do have a drogue.

Aaron
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:33:11 AM by Aaron Laing »
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Be great to see you there Aaron.

www.skookumsflybox.com

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
It'd be great to have you out for this one Aaron! No need to worry abut a boat as there is always room for an extra person or two in the boats...

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
Looks like I'm a go for this. I might try and talk Wayne in to going as well depending on how his shoulder is doing.

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
That's great news Aaron!!! Kep me posted, and try to talk the Randys into coming out if they're able...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
I'm looking forward to this one.  It presents a different challenge from Whonnock, but seems to have a good crop of wild, holdover, and fresh hatchery trout - which is always exciting!

www.skookumsflybox.com

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
For those who have emailed me in regards to lthe rules of loch-style fishing; here's a diagram that I drew that illustrates the competitors' "fishing zones" that they're allowed target while fishing loch-style. The flies, while in the water, must not pass behind the centerline of the boat (absolutely no trolling allowed). Fishing or having your flies in the water while the boat is under power, either from oars or a motor is not permitted.

Both competitors must fish in front of the boat from the same (downwind) side and cast their flies in the water on their half of the boat. See diagram below:

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
The Sasamat Lake competition is only 11 days away, so please respond here by posting a reply or me know by email or Personal Message (PM) if you're planning on attending this event. As well, please let me know if you'll be bringing a boat or if you'll need to share a boat for the 2 sessions of this competition...

Cheers,
Todd
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:57:10 PM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
There are still a few spots left for those of you that are wanting to come out and enjoy a day on the water with a great group of fly fishers. The experience will help to improve your angling skills and knowledge of stillwater fishing in general.

Hope to see a few more new faces on Sunday!

Cheers,
Todd