Author Topic: Snakehead Fish Spotted in Southwestern British Columbia Lake....  (Read 1995 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Burnaby park officials probing nasty snakehead fish allegedly spotted at Burnaby's Central Park lagoon (with video). Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Nasty+snakehead+fish+spotted+Burnaby+Central+Park+lagoon/6626327/story.html
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Snakehead Fish Spotted in Southwestern British Columbia Lake....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »
You know, I am all for diversity, but that would be pushing the compatibilty issue.  I would how they would survive here.

If that was me with the camera, I would have raced home to grab a net...
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »
Man those things are nasty. A real plague in the US North East. Burnaby lake is less than 5 minutes from my house, and it connected to the Fraser via the Brunette River. If these things get established, they would be a biological time bomb.

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Joe Gluck

• 5 Star Member
  • Zürich, Switzerland 17 months and counting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:49:51 AM »
Man those things are nasty. A real plague in the US North East. Burnaby lake is less than 5 minutes from my house, and it connected to the Fraser via the Brunette River. If these things get established, they would be a biological time bomb.

Aaron

I hadn't thought of that.  From what I understand, snakehead, like eels, can cross land if there is enough rain, and lord knows that in BC we get plenty of that.  Imagine these things get into a drainage pipe or ditch that ends up in the Fraser.  They could potentially destroy all our salmon stocks, not to mention char, trout, and sturgeon. 

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:55:40 AM by Todd Oishi »
Tie one up, bro!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
I shutter to think of the impact that they'd have on our rivers and streams. I hope that the DFO is able to catch/trap and remove it before it can breed or do any further damage to the natural environment and residents of that lake.

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Dan Baraniuk

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:14:41 PM »
Tail it, beach it, stomp it!

I respect living things, and I would feel horrible doing that. But I would rather that than being the generation that let the Salmon go extinct.

I have to say though, it has some very pretty markings.