Author Topic: Instructions for Building Thwart Boards for Loch-Style Fishing  (Read 1761 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
I decided to repost these instructions on this forum for the sake of new competitors that are wanting to build their own thwart boards for the upcoming loch-style fly fishing competitions...

Thwart boards provide a high level of comfort and are a great asset (pardon the pun) when sharing a boat with a fishing partner or fellow competitor. The increased height that is experienced as a result of its elevated seating platform allows anglers to sit further apart in the boat and higher above the floor of the boat (much easier on the old knees). By design, it also allows the fly fishers to sit sideways within the boat while fishing loch-style or anchored.

Designing and building your own thwart boards is a fairly inexpensive and simple process. They can be constructed from any type of wood and can be painted or stained to suit your personal taste. Just remember to be sure to use a durable finish or clearcoat, so the top coat of colour won't stain or ruin your waders or pants.

For added comfort I highly recommended that you consider attaching an adjustable boat seat system or thick piece of foam to the top surface of the thwart board or your butt will be quite sore and uncomfortable after straddling a bare plank for an hour or two...

Here's a blueprint that I drew that contains some basic design features for the thwart boards that I've constructed in the past and have been used by the organizers of the B.C. Loch-Style and Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships:

Important Note: These diagrams are to be used as a rough guide only, as the space between the two outermost blocks and angles should be adjusted to allow the thwart board to fit tightly on the gunnels of the boat and lock it into place, so as to restrict the movements of the thwart board.

Notice how the thwart board shown in the background of my photo has been designed so it will stay on the gunnels and remain firmly locked into place. Adding a third block to the outer edge would allow it to be repositioned along the gunnels. without sliding off them and overboard...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Instructions for Building Thwart Boards for Loch-Style Fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
Here's a little pictorial of a set of thwart boards that I recently built that's ideally suited for my loch-style fishing needs:

The back rest and brackets on this seat are are quickly and easily removed (4 screws) to make the seat FIPS-Mouche compliant and ready for competition angling...

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:24:11 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:46:46 AM »
Now that I've thoroughly tested the thwart boards and determined the best positioning for the seat on the thwart board, I removed it's clamp-style seat base and installed a post-style base instead, which provides far greater stability and will allow the seat to swivel a full 360 degrees:

A 3/4" hole is drilled through the thwart board and a series of holes can also be drilled to allow the user the ability and luxury to position the seat to their liking (I've intentionality offset the hole on this board to allow the user the ability to cast to their right when need be for loch-style fishing):

Here's a shot of the finished product, which stays firmly in place or can be removed and the seat readjusted in less than 5 seconds:

I chose to use this design, as it allows me to simply pop the seat off the thwart boards and into the bases and pedestals that I've installed on the seat benches and floor boards:

I chose to go with 13" posts, as I feel that the boat would be less stable (lower center of gravity) and looks less like a "bass boat", as the seats barely sit above the gunnels:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:03:55 AM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:29:02 AM »
Bumped for those that have been asking about how to build their own thwart boards...

Alastair Grogan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
Nice, but I prefer boards made from 2x10's.  2x12's have me walking like a cowboy for the next week.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:12:02 AM »

JP Forget

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »
What do I need to do to see the photos on this post? Please. It says something about update your account to allow third party posting. Thank you! Cheers!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »
Sorry, but it's a Photo Bucket website issue. I'll try to post the photos using a different format...