Author Topic: FIPS-Mouche Rules for Competition Fly Fishing  (Read 7626 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
FIPS-Mouche Rules for Competition Fly Fishing
« on: March 14, 2012, 07:09:51 PM »
I thought that I'd post a link to FIPS-Mouche rules that are used as the international standard set of rules for competitive fly fishing. Here's the link to their rules: http://www.fips-mouche.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=142&Itemid=11
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Tim Rolston

• 5 Star Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • The Fishing Gene Blog
Re: FIPS-Mouche Rules for Competition Fly Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »
I am going to add a corollory to Todd's post. At the NZ Champs they changed the rules on leaders the day before the comp started. I don't compete anymore but some of the regs seem just foolish. If you want to have a loop in your leader (and I don't) or you wish to have a thicker section in the middle (I don't want to do that either) so what? Anyway, now I rig things the way that I want to and don't compete. It was fun and I learned a lot, met some great people and now can relax into "just fishing"..
Effective flies, like effective lingerie should be slightly transparent, minimalistic, pretty and discardable.

Rory E. Glennie

• 5 Star Member
  • "Angling to Exceed Your Expectations"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
Thanks for posting this information Todd. Even if they are not into the competitive fly fishing scene I think a lot of folks may find the “Rules” informative and enlightening.
On the point Tim raises about having loops in your leader; I do have loops in my leader. As far back as I can remember I have been pre-tying my leader and tippet segments with looped ends at home, and then storing them in a leader wallet ready for use. I think the original reason for doing that came from winter Steelheading; wet, cold, numb fingers do not work well in making good knots. A simple loop-to-loop connection assured I had a good strong attachment between the pieces of mono.
I do not think that utilizing a loop-to-loop system can possibly offer an unfair advantage to one fly fisher over another. As well, it does in no way offer an unfair advantage in attracting or hooking fish. Loops are just another type of mechanical binding. Perhaps it is even more fair to allow loop-to-loop leader connections, since it would offer those digital dexterity impaired folks, who in every other way are fine fly fishers, the ability to reduce equipment repair/change downtime.
Cheers!
Rory
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:16:09 PM by Rory E. Glennie »
Ghillie -- A wise and discreet waterside companion to genteel fly fishers... that's me.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »
There are always a lot of discussions regarding the rules, and what should or shouldn't be changed.  Admittedly, when I first looked at them 6 or 7 years ago, the rules were what initially put me off of comp fishing - I looked at them and thought "What?! This is completely alien to my normal style!  Who thought of these?"

But the further I met anglers who fished the styles, and I saw how much innovative fishing came about because of them, I saw how effective the techniques could actually be.  You might say my eyes were opened a tad.  And, for the most part, how fun they could be (there are still a few rules I shake my head at).  Then when I considered that myself and virtually every angler pretty much has their own self-imposed rules anyways, why not just try abiding by the FM rules to even the playing field?  Which I have started doing.

I think probably because most of us all have our own self-imposed 'guidelines', and our own preferred styles of fishing, it's realistically impossible to come up with one set of rules that everyone could agree to.  We probably couldn't even find a set of rules that 50% of the anglers would agree to! 

Personally, I've always though that Tippet Rings should be allowed on leaders simply to minimize the wastage of FC which is a non-biodegradable material.  Why pollute any more than we need to.

Similarly, back rests should be allowed on thwart boards in boats.  Back injuries are so common, why force people to not fish simply because they can't do so without a back rest?  All it does is make it harder on guys when they get older, and discourage them (which we shouldn't do - as they have the bulk of the talent).

There are some other things too, and I think we can point out numerous details.  In my mind, I 'almost' don't mind what the rules are, as long as they are universally applied - so I don't mind staying with things as they are to a degree.  However, I'd also welcome any changes universally applied that didn't impact upon the skill required (unfair advantages), yet led to a benefit that was either environmentally sound (such as they did when C&R was implemented) or that removed difficult hardships that precluded some anglers from competing.

The rules should help us to emphasize skill and create an even playing field.

I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Ross Pearson

• 5 Star Member
  • Langley, BC Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 01:27:32 PM »
I have looked but cannot find the answer to my question about loch style fishing and boat restrictions and seating. I have a 15' 3" Boston Whaler with a 40hp motor on it. If I equip it with a smaller trolling motor can I use it in the competitions were a boat ramp is available to launch, ie: Mill Lake. What exactly are the HP restrictions and seat restrictions. Do I need Thwart Boards or can I use he seating that came with the boat.

Rory E. Glennie

• 5 Star Member
  • "Angling to Exceed Your Expectations"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:30:01 AM »
As I remember it, boats were to be, practically speaking, the same. So not to afford an advantage to one angler over another due to the crafts capabilities or design. Then again engine horsepower was not an issue simply because it fell into the category of sameness in capability and design.
Thwart boards if/when used afford an angler a height advantage over just sitting down on the integral seats supplied by the boat manufacturer. Again, as long as all the boats are equally equipped they would meet the regulation criteria. I suppose any seating whether it be a standard option by the manufacturer or a custom arrangement must meet the test of "sameness". It would be best to submit a configuration diagram and /or photos of your boat to the tournament officials for their ruling before getting there and finding out you can't use your particular setup.
Cheers!
Rory
Ghillie -- A wise and discreet waterside companion to genteel fly fishers... that's me.