Author Topic: Suggestions for a new Type 5 low stetch line...  (Read 1501 times)

Marc Bilan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Suggestions for a new Type 5 low stetch line...
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »
Hey everyone.  I'm looking at adding my first low stretch sinking line.  I've read the suggestions on these boards but have noticed that many of the posts are over a year old.  Many of those posts commented on how much the technology improved/changed within the first few offerings and it changed what they would have gotten.  I would like a Type 5 because I hear it's better suited to Trojan. 

Suggestions on a good type 5 low stretch line?

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Coquitlam BC Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a new Type 5 low stetch line...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:19:08 PM »
Hi Marc
A airflo sixth sense type 5 did wonders for me last year at the Trojan pond fund raiser. Never took it off all day.
Having said that I have recently purchased the new Rio In Touch type 5 but can give you no feed back at this time.
And no my airflo six sense is not for sale.  :)
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Marc Bilan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:46:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply Vance.  The airflow lines seem to be becoming a favorite with competitors, although they do have quite a few in their lineup, between the 'sweep', 40+, and 6th sense lines.     

Does anyone know if the head is the only difference between the 40+ and regular 6th sense sinking lines?

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:34:15 PM »
I believe the running line is thinner. I find the regular sixth sense to be more effective for my style of fishing.

That being said; I personally prefer using the Rio In Touch lines these days. They're much easier to keep what your doing a lot more secretive...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »
One day I'd like to get access to a pool (a big olympic style) and do tests between Rio in touch, 40+, 6th Sense... for sink and movement properties.  Unfortunately it costs about $460 per hour to rent a whole pool, and that's just a wee tad out of my budget for testing equipment.   :)

I have the Sweep, 40+ and 6th sense.  I find the 40+ hauls better, but as to the precise sink properties, I can't really say which is more effective overall.  I love all.  Probably use the 40+ more myself right now (but that is more based on casting properties).  But I am curious about the Rio lines, and will be looking into them in the near future.I fish all. 
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Marc Bilan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »
Todd, do you feel that the Rio line is as good line as the Airflow when it comes to the low stretch aspect of the lines?  Is your decision to fish the Rio based solely on the fact that it doesn't have the orange patches announcing your line choice?

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:29:34 AM »
Rio has significantly less stretch than Airflo's Sixth Sense lines, which makes them even more sensitive at greater distances. The fact that Rio's In Touch lines are all dark, makes it far less obvious as to which line you're using. The hang markers are a bit of a giveaway, but they're only visible at close distances, whereas Airflo's unique colour system makes them identifiable at greater distances.

That being said; I use markers and dyes to alter the colour of my lines and hang markers, so there's even less chance for a competitor to identify exactly what lines I'm using and the depth at which the fish are most active...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

James Pier

• 4 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
Todd, how are you dying you lines?

Marc Bilan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »
Awesome guys.  Thank you to everyone for helping me make an informed decision. :)