Author Topic: Recipe for Todd's Czech Nymph  (Read 2118 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
Recipe for Todd's Czech Nymph
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »

Todd's Czech Nymph     
        As featured in The Canadian Fly Fisher (2007) and BC Outdoors Magazine (2008)

Recipe:
• Hook – Snake 200 - Sizes 8 and 10
• Bead- 1/8" Tungsten (gold)
• Thread- 8/0 Fluorescent red thread
• Underbody- Thin lead or tungsten sheeting
• Shell-back- Woven Mylar shell-back material (pearl)
• Ribbing- Flattened or round copper wire
• Abdomen- Fluorescent orange, steelhead wool
• Thorax and legs- Natural Fox Squirrel dubbing

Tying Instructions:
1 ) Pinch down the hook’s barb and slide the tungsten bead up to the hook eye, and secure hook in vise.
2 ) From lead or tungsten sheeting, trim a 1/16-inch wide strip 3 inches long. Attach the strip halfway through the hook bend and wrap it toward the eye with each wrap butting tight against the previous wrap but never overlapping it. Upon reaching the bead, stop and start winding a second layer back toward the bend. Stop three-quarters of the way down the first layer and start wrapping a third layer back toward the bead. Stop just short of the bead to achieve a reasonable taper to the body.
3 ) Attach thread behind the bead and wrap toward the bend to provide a solid base for the body materials. Stop where the lead wraps began.
4 ) Secure a thin strip of the Mylar shellback material to the top of the hook bend, then the gold wire. Secure with several tight wraps.
5 ) Secure a couple of fibers of fluorescent orange, steelhead wool and roll it evenly and sparsely onto the thread
6 ) Wrap the steelhead wool forward to create a tapered abdomen and stop just short of the bead
7 ) Pinch off a small portion of Natural Fox Squirrel dubbing and roll it onto the thread. Wrap forward to the bead to form the thorax
8 ) Secure thread behind the bead with a few wraps and a single half-hitch.
9 ) Pull the shellback forward to the bead and secure with two wraps and a half-hitch.
10 ) Wind the wire forward with evenly spaced wraps. Secure with several wraps of thread, whip-finish and apply a drop of head cement to the knot.
11 ) With a needle or bodkin, pick loose some of the guard hairs on the underside of the thorax to simulate legs.

This pattern is one of my personal favourites, and has been evolving on my tying bench after much experimentation in the rivers and streams that I’ve fished in North America and around the globe. This nymph is about as heavy as they come (without compromising its profile and sink-rate) and is designed to ride "upside-down”, so as to protect the hook’s point, while the stealhead wool tends to get caught in the trout's teeth - thereby allowing an extra fraction of a second for reacting to the take before the trout spits the hook.

I hope it works as well for you as it has for me...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:45:40 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Andy Larkin

• Fly Fishing Team Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe for Todd's Czech Nymph
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:22:37 PM »
This is a beautiful czech, Todd!  I find orange/sunburst colours to be absolutely deadly in the early autumn time.

I am just curious as for what the body material "Steelhead wool" is?

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:35:08 PM »
Steelhead Egg Yarn.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Andy Larkin

• Fly Fishing Team Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »
Ahh!  Thank you.  That's what I was thinking originally, but with all the unique names coming out for dubbing materials these days I just wanted to make sure.  Great pattern! 

Joe Gluck

• 5 Star Member
  • Zürich, Switzerland 17 months and counting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »
Great pattern, Todd!

Where are you sourcing your flat wire rib?  It would be a great material to have in my collection of wires.

Tight Loops and Lines,
-J
Tie one up, bro!

Scott Rice

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Archer 414
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »
Great looking nymph. I especially like the flat wire rib. I'm going to have to get my hands on some of that.
Tight Lines!

Chris Topmiller

• Boise, Idaho, U.S.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:55:09 AM »
Looks good.  But this is not the Todd's cz nymph that I remember.   Do you still use that bug? 

Chris Topmiller

• Boise, Idaho, U.S.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »
update:  I tied a bunch of these last night.  I had switched to McFly foam for my steelhead egg patterns, so I basically have an unlimited supply of orange egg yarn.   I put it to use last night.  Awesome fly.  The only changes I made were to the scud back (I used pearl magic foil), I used brassie wire for the ribbing, and I weighted the fly with . 025 lead wire which I then covered with orange uni-stretch.  I think they turned out good.   I used patridge cz fine wire size 10 for a hook.  I can't wait to try it.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 06:43:19 AM »
Chris, this is just a variation of the original pattern. Glad you liked it!!

This latest version has become one of my standard patterns for Czech nymphing.

Chris Topmiller

• Boise, Idaho, U.S.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 06:49:52 AM »
Is that a peacock herl abdomen?  I'll tie up a few of those tonight and report back. 

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »
Yes, it's peacock herl. The throax is made from a custom blend of Stillwater Solution's "Dark Summer Duck" dubbing and Natural Fox Squirrel dubbing. The trout really seem to like this pattern.

On a side note... I (and the others here) would really appreciate it if you could write a post that describes the type of fish and fishing opportunities that the state of Utah is blessed with...

Chris Topmiller

• Boise, Idaho, U.S.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
Ok, I'll draft something in the appropriate forum section.  It won't be about Utah  ;), since I've never fished there, but I'll be happy to draft a report on southern Idaho/Eastern Oregon. 

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:03 AM »
 ;D Sorry, my mistake!    :D

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
You know Todd, I've tied and fished that damn orange pattern ever since you showed it to me and do ya think it's ever caught anything... zippo. Other colours slay, but I guess my orange wool doesn't have that special "Todd" scent. Maybe I'll have to leave a spool at the bottom of your gym bag for a few weeks to get some of that mojo :D

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Loch-Style Fly Fishing
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 02:30:17 PM »
That's too funny Aaron! Sort of like my experience with Wayne's Wookie fly pattern for stillwaters. It works extremely well for him, while I can't buy a fish with it...