Author Topic: Daddies, Daddy Longlegs, Leatherjacks, Crane Flies..  (Read 1603 times)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Daddies, Daddy Longlegs, Leatherjacks, Crane Flies..
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:15:11 AM »
They go by many names, but belong to the Diptera family along with chironomids.

Occasionally the adults get targetted when strong winds blow them onto the water surface, as the adults are poor fliers at best - usually they try and stick as close to the meadows and grass fields as they can.  When caught in gusty winds, they can provide a source of food for feeding trout as they blow out onto the water, and often the UK patterns termed as "Daddies" or "Hoppers" are meant to be strong suggestive patterns of this insect.

But the larvae can be an underestimated food source as well.  Most species are not aquatic, and in fact the larvae grow in soil in most cases (most of us who have ever gone digging up worms in the back yard for those early day fishing trips have likely seen more than a few of these).  However, there are aquatic versions, and occasionally the land versions get washed into rivers during heavy rains - and I think fish have a hard time resisting them once found.

This can be a good, big larva pattern to imitate when bottom bouncing a river, either after floods, or at any other time you want a big, heavy fly.

I've taken the liberty of stealing Jordan Bannerman's picture as well to include here (thanks J).  Here's Jordan's picture of a pair of 2-inch crane fly larvae.  Tell me if a fish can refuse one of these...

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:58:19 PM by Chris Puchniak »
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Daddies, Daddy Longlegs, Leatherjacks, Crane Flies..
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:09:02 PM »
Looks like Chadwick 477 to me!
Team Kingfisher member

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:30:56 AM »
Nice piece Chris,

There is some overlap as well on the naming and behaviour of these flies. At times daddy's/hoppers, can have another meaning. Hoppers can also mean the stage of the midge emerger where it takes some false flights when the wings are still drying. The adult midge can often take a few to several hopping short flights before a complete lift off. The term Hopper is given to this part of the Chironomid life cycle as well by many in the UK.

http://globalflyfisher.com/video/foam-back-hopperadult-midge
You can note in this photo the hopper stage as it was described to me. This is where the use of Pheasant Tail  knotted knees are used on many patterns to simulate the drowned, and crippled hoppers to be fished in the surface area.

This is what I use when I dont use the original Chadwick 477 that I keep for special occasions and flies.

http://www.semperfli.net/semperfli-chadwick-477-substitute.html
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:21:28 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 07:18:59 AM »

The 5 on the right are tied with Chadwick 477. The 5 on the left with the red collar tags aren't.

This is a fine Alpacca yarn. (Not my ties btw)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:21:42 AM by Mike Learmonth »
Team Kingfisher member