Author Topic: Spring defined: a day at the beach with sea-runs.  (Read 892 times)

Rory E. Glennie

• 5 Star Member
  • "Angling to Exceed Your Expectations"
    • View Profile
Spring defined: a day at the beach with sea-runs.
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »
Since yesterday was the first day of Spring here on Vancouver Island, and other places too I suppose, I just had to get out to the beach to celebrate.
The Pink Salmon fry are moving downstream now, the Chums will follow shortly. That is all great fodder for sea-run Cutthroats. That is why I was at the beach, despite the rather windy weather. My hands were numb from the cold, biting wind in short order. Will winter time ever go away?
We were able to locate a small pod of Cutties actively chasing feed through the troughs between wave crests. The fishing was frantic for a short while. Just get your fly into the melee and a take was sure to follow. Some were solid hook-ups, many more were hit and run grabs. That was probably due in combination to the frothing water and quickness of the fish in charging the fly.
The biggest problem was in ones ability to boom out a long enough line in that terrible wind to reach the first trough beyond the breaking waves; that was where the active fish were located. Turning ones back to the wind and timing the throw with the gust helped send the line out far enough... most of the time. One thing about it, the fish were not spooked by our presence. They probably thought we were just more flotsam and jetsam in the surf. It almost felt like that to us at times too. After only an hour of that madness we packed up and headed for a warm hearth.
No magic fly of the day to report. A good ol’ Rolled Muddler worked fine. A good start to another season at the beach. Come on summer!
Cheers!
Rory
Ghillie -- A wise and discreet waterside companion to genteel fly fishers... that's me.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Spring defined: a day at the beach with sea-runs.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »
Now that's beach fishing.  Fortunately we're a little more sheltered over here on the mainland... but we have fewer beach opportunties.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Spring defined: a day at the beach with sea-runs.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing this excellent report with us Rory (I almost felt as if I was standing there, alongside you)! I really enjoyed the experience of fly fishing the ocean beaches in and around the Campbell River area. The wide open, massive size of the ocean can be very intimidating at first glance...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:56:52 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...