Author Topic: fly fishing in fernie b.c  (Read 1072 times)

Gnyoung

• View Profile
fly fishing in fernie b.c
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:21:36 PM »
My daughter just moved to Fernie B.C. And I am looking for info on fly fishing around Fernie. lakes and rivers in the me mediate area to fish and types of flys would be a great help.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: fly fishing in fernie b.c
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »
Fernie is quite a Mecca for flyfishing, with great rivers and lakes nearby (Elk River...).  The Canadian Nationals were hosted there in 2009.  There are some great spots and you are very lucky to have a contact nearby!   ;)  Hopefully someone with better knowledge can pipe up.

I think some of the rivers are Classed there, making the appropriate licenses necessary.

Here's a video from 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfJW6GdsH18
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »
Yes, I agree with Chris Fernie is Mecca for flyfishing, Elk River, Michel Creek, Wigwam River, and many others. A great resource for info is the Elk River Guiding Company
http://www.elkriver.ca/

I hope this helps little bit. Good luck! Cheers, Janos

Marc Bilan

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »
+1 for Paul(owner) at Elk River.  Knowledgable and helpful guy.  If you need a guide, check out Sebastian Stewart(through Elk River).  Also, consider fishing Summit Lake if you want to do some stillwater angling while you're there. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:41:28 PM by Marc Bilan »