Author Topic: Most standard approach?  (Read 1340 times)

Max Cohen

• 5 Star Member
  • lets chuck some feathers and see what takes
    • View Profile
Most standard approach?
« on: May 29, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »
What is your most standard fly you would go to in a comp setting? Or is there a certain retrieve you use or something like that? For me its a lunker leach which is my creation. And ever since I met Todd, the vampire leach (thanks todd lol)  :D

My stripping technique is fast-stop then slow (small strips) and then fast figure 8 and stop and then just normal strips till i find what they want. And then fish it the way they want it when I figure it out.

How many casts do you do until you feel you have effectivley fished the water? For me its normally 2 casts left, 2 casts to the middle, 2 casts right, and then if I know there's fish there I will switch flies. If not I'll move to next spot.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:15:36 PM by Chris Puchniak »
The tug is the drug

Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

I should really give this up, wrapping bits of fluff around a hook for fun just can't be normal!!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Most standard approach?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »
I like the FTA retrieve, but for a fly, that is tough to pin down depending on the venue.  There are a lot of Blobs, Leeches and Buggers I like to explore with. 

I usually don't like to cast over the same water twice unless I had some response from that spot.  So, I will fan from one side to the other, but gladly chase after the first sign of a fish moving.  As John Horsey would say, "If you see a fish rise, cover it - I don't care if you just made the nicest cast of your life... strip it in fast and close enough to pull it out, and throw it to intercept the path of the fish.  It could be the only chance you get at an active fish that day."

I guess a further question on this: What is your go-to line in 'most' situations?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:21:04 PM by Chris Puchniak »
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Coquitlam BC Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Most standard approach?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
Go to fly to start hot headed green uv micro leach
Go to line to start is clear intermediate
Go to retrieve is 8-10 inch strip 3/4 speed with figure eights thrown in randomly
Always cast to rising fish even if I can't cast to him right away I will try to remember where I last saw him and grid pattern search for him.
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown