Author Topic: Knapek vs Hanak hooks  (Read 10548 times)

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Alberta
    • View Profile
Knapek vs Hanak hooks
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »
Was wondering if anybody has had good experiences with knapek hooks and how does there quality compare to hanak hooks.
I have been using hanak but am having difficulty sourcing locally. Was wondering if I should be switching to knapek for availabilty reasons?
Thoughts plz.
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Knapek vs Hanak hooks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
Vance - Knapek hooks hold fish better than any other barbless hook I've tried.  :) Doihku and Hanak are also pretty good - Hanak have straight points, except for the odd type. They are generally heavier (and stronger) than Knapek but the straight points don't hold as well. I have taken to "beaking" them myself on a tapered punch held in a bench vise. I have also had some issues with quality (finish & shape) on the smaller Hanak hooks.

Doihku hooks all have upturned "beaks", which help with keeping the tiddlers on. (very important in competition). I haven't tried their jig hooks and they don't make special nymph hooks or terrestrial hooks. The quality has always been very high and "consistent". Dohiku have great streamer hooks in #6 and #8, but they get shorter for size in #10 & #12.Doihku hooks are of excellent quality and they have super wet and dry fly hooks. 

Knapek also makes good nymph, streamer and terrestrial hooks. Hanak's streamer hooks are a bit oversized and they don't do special nymph  hooks. I've had some serious quality issues with Knapek, but Ernie Kalwa (elktrading.com) has taken the problem hooks back and has addressed the issue with Knapek.

For all round selection and fish holding ability - Knapek takes it!! They have a very long point, are wickedly sharp and have a slight offset, which twists the hook in.

Hanak has better jig hooks and lake hooks.

Dohiku has better wets and dries and big streamer hooks - best company for quality control.
I Fish - therefore I am!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 05:40:34 PM »
I have always been impressed with Knapeks from a hook-setting standpoint.  The offset point and the long point are nice.  Quality control is a little rough, and you have to watch for bent shanks and improperly closed eyes that can break a leader (the latter you can get around by amply buildig up thread at the head).  But support from Ernie Kalwa is  very good, which is a plus.  A product is often only as good as the local guy you deal with.

Hanaks can be tough to get, but most good hooks are tough to get locally.

Is Hatch Matcher having a hard time getting supplies?
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Vance Whitley

• 5 Star Member
  • Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 06:42:22 AM »
Yes, Hatch Matcher is struggling to keep stock and I believe is looking to switch to another competion hook brand if stocking issues continue.
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Gordon Kalisch

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 07:16:44 AM »
Where can I buy these Knapek hooks?

Kevin Cucheron

• 5 Star Member
  • BCCFFL Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 07:33:12 AM »
Where can I buy these Knapek hooks?

http://www.elktradingco.com/
That is the website that you can order them from
Team Kingfisher member

If someone says you fish too much, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

John Kent

• 5 Star Member
  • Fox Creek, Alberta, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 03:55:40 AM »
I have always been impressed with Knapeks from a hook-setting standpoint.  The offset point and the long point are nice.  Quality control is a little rough, and you have to watch for bent shanks and improperly closed eyes that can break a leader (the latter you can get around by amply buildig up thread at the head).  But support from Ernie Kalwa is  very good, which is a plus.  A product is often only as good as the local guy you deal with.

Hanaks can be tough to get, but most good hooks are tough to get locally.

Is Hatch Matcher having a hard time getting supplies?

I stopped in at the end of June to drop off some pumpkinheads for Randy at Hatchmatch'rs and he is frustrated at not being able to get in Hanak hooks. When I did a tying demo at Robinson's in Victoria they had healthy stock of Hanaks.

I was supposed to be a member of The Ospreys at the Loch Style Championships but had to bow out early. Had the good fortune of talking back and forth with Ernie Kalwa (elktrading. co) and after sending him some flies I recommended for Tunkwa and Trojan he offered to send me some Knapeks which he swears by. I have still not tried them but the pupa hook looks like the perfect shape to achieve the ultimate chironomid pupa silhouette that I'm excited to give them a go.

Sorin Comsa

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Successful Angler
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »
Dohiku hooks all have upturned "beaks", which help with keeping the tiddlers on. (very important in competition). I haven't tried their jig hooks and they don't make special nymph hooks or terrestrial hooks. The quality has always been very high and "consistent".
Dohiku has better wets and dries and big streamer hooks - best company for quality control.

Hi Todd, I hope you don’t mind me posting this offer:
For anyone interested in buying Dohiku hooks, they are available from the Canadian distributor at http://www.successfulangler.com
All the members of the Innovative fly fisher forum may email info@successfulangler.com to place an order and receive a 10% discount for orders placed before April 10.

Tight lines!
Sorin Comsa
Tight lines,
Sorin Comsa
World Fly-fishing Championships 2004, 2005, 2010, 2011, 2014
Commonwealth Fly-fishing Championships 2009,2016 (Individual Silver Medal),2018
http://www.successfulangler.com/
Dohiku hooks, Syndicate fly rods and fly tying materials

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 04:12:19 PM »
No problem at all Sorin. Thanks as well for offering a discount to the forum members!

Cheers,
Todd
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
Good on you Sorin - nice to have Dohiku available through a distributor in Canada. I love the design of the Knapek, but the quality has really been the pits - when I complained to Knapek, they basically said to use other hooks if you are unhappy - so I am. Hanak and Dohiku. The "beaked" Dohiku are superb at holding fish, the only complaint I have is that they don't do 2x or 3x long nymph sytle hooks and their smaller streamers lose the extra relative length.  Their quality is outstanding however, and Milan Styk, the rep I dealt with, is very accommodating when it comes to ordering.
I Fish - therefore I am!

Sorin Comsa

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Successful Angler
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 05:03:50 PM »
Peter, barbless competition hooks have a shorter shank on purpose. It prevents the hook from coming out. While fighting the fish, a longer hook shank acts as a lever and makes the hook enlarge the hole it made and come out from the fish jaw.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:31:45 PM by Sorin Comsa »
Tight lines,
Sorin Comsa

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »
Right Sorin - however, if you compare most streamer hooks, each size is relative in gape to length.  Dohiku seems to shorten this relationship as the hooks get smaller.  Nothing against the hooks, they are great and I use the #10 streamer as a bigger gaped wet fly.  I do love their #8s and #6s for big wooly buggers.
I Fish - therefore I am!

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 08:24:54 AM »
I have used hooks of Jindrich Knapek for tying Czech nymphs in a few occasions, I like them.  I know first hand most guys who participate in competitions here and need to fish with barbless flies use them.

For me the most interesting is model G  (10 or 12) and , the grub for shrimps or model N with straight shank. In Italy we pay 4 Euro for 25 pcs and I order them from Tieman!

A defect of Knapek ,however, is that if you tie a nymph with the tungsten beads you can end up with with strange curve and something not too pretty! 

I have tired Hanak and Skalka that cost twice as much, both good hooks, but I continue using Knapek.   So I guess at the end its only question of choice.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:07:17 AM by Alex Berger »
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Sorin Comsa

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Successful Angler
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »
Right Sorin - however, if you compare most streamer hooks, each size is relative in gape to length.  Dohiku seems to shorten this relationship as the hooks get smaller.  Nothing against the hooks, they are great and I use the #10 streamer as a bigger gaped wet fly.  I do love their #8s and #6s for big wooly buggers.

Hi Peter,
I thought you may be interested to know that the new series of Dohiku streamer size 10 is slightly longer and with a wider gape. It is now aligned with the #6 and #8 streamer hook sizes.
Tight lines,
Sorin

http://www.successfulangler.com
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:15:28 AM by Sorin Comsa »
Tight lines,
Sorin Comsa

Ernie Kalwa

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »

Hey folks!

ELK Trading Co has put ALL KNAPEK Competition BARBLESS HOOKS ON SALE!!! 

Only USD$3.99 (about CAD$5.00) per 25-pack of ALL models and sizes. 

Here's the link to stock up your Paypal shopping cart: http://elktradingco.com/order-knapek-barbless-hooks/

PLUS! Enter "INNOVATIVE" at the Checkout and get FREE SHIPPING in CANADA!

Happy Tying and Fishing!