Author Topic: Floon's Weight Watcher's Special  (Read 3608 times)

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
Floon's Weight Watcher's Special
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:10:49 AM »

My best shrimp pattern for the interior lakes. (Yes the (in)famous 40" trout was taken on this very pattern from Roche)

The name comes from the fact that it's MUCH 'fatter' than the forage in most cases but when tied and deployed properly it's the most productive pattern for scuds in my box. (hint: this isn't the only colour you should be tying them in but this is the most productive shade from lake to lake)

Hook: SPBL 2499 10s and 12s
Thread: Black 8/0
Back: Clear scud back
Underback: 2 strands of holographic tinsel
Body: Large olive chennille, palmered in tight touching wraps
Eyes: Create a black thread head

Tied up like you might think, after the chennille is used (leaving more room than you think for the head area - the chennille can be unruly when you tie it off and end up in the hook eye)and tied off, trim the top portion of the hair of the chennille flat with your scissors, then pull forward on center the 2 pieces of flash tying them in at the head, then cover that with the scud back and form a head and viola a shrimp is born. On the 10s little trimming is needed to make good proportions but on the 12s more is needed. the one pictured is a 12. Be sure to trim ALL chennille fibers from the rear of the pattern in keeping with the natural's legs under only appearance.

The biggest thing to working this fly is to move it erratically througout the retrieve. I use 1/2 and 1/4" strips as bloody fast as I can with a few or little pauses during. Basically move this bugger as much as you can without it going anywhere fast. Scuds are low light creatures and as such are good forage in shaded areas and first thing in the morning when light is long.

Quote: "You can't go wrong with a shrimp in the mornings" - Randy Patton

With the right pattern and action no truer words were ever spoken in my experience. ;)

Have fun with it and let me know how you do if you try it out. On certain days and certain lakes I can eat a chironomid fisher who's dialed in for breakfast catch wise and that ain't no fish tale. 8)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:12:29 AM by Randy Paskall »
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Floon's Weight Watcher's Special
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »
I like the looks of it. Thanks for sharing.

It has significant bulk and probably makes a lot of noise going through the water, especially with your recommended retrieve. I see a good place in my boxes for that patten.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
Thats what I like. Instructions on how to fish the fly. I've never had much success with scuds and knew my retrieve was the problem.
thx for sharing Randy.
 :)
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
Looks like an olive/chartreuse Blob with a back problem to me!!!!
I Fish - therefore I am!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:21:45 PM »
No doubt there is a similarity... A more natural blob. Sort of.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »
One man's blob is another man's shrimp?
If you seen it in hand you'd see that it has with the flash inlay a pearlescent back and with the trimmed top perfect segmentation. Ringer for the natural.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:59:15 AM by Randy Paskall »

Chad Vandermolen

• 4 Star Member
  • A.K.A Lawfish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:32:23 AM »
Great post, Randy, thanks.  I appreciate you highlighting the important details.  Just the thing to help take my scud game to the next level!  I've got a couple follow-up questions relating to presentation, if you're willing to divulge.  What line(s) do you typically use to fish these--intermediate, sink tip, or??  What depths and features are you looking for and targeting with this pattern and technique.

Cheers,
Chad

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 07:58:30 AM »
Just like any pattern most lines are applicable depending upon how you are targeting fish. For the MOST part I capitalise on shrimp eaters up shallow in the morning in water from 4" deep to about 6'. This would say a slow sinker, sink tip, or even floating line (the pattern above cuts through the water quite well) are good at these times. (or in cloudy weather) Often fish you see rolling up shallow and just off/in weed beds are actually targeting shimp rather than other forage suspected. In the morning before light hits the water proper, I'll anchor up a 50' cast from shore, and then toss it up shallow, get 'er moving right quick and see where I hang up the most and then shorten the cast appropriately or not. Being 50' out allows me to cover more bank with longer casts when i want to - fan casting ciovering an area roughly the shape of a slice of pie.
If it's cloudy and I have a marl flat then the slime line/countdown method is used and I'll anchor off the bed (OUT of the fish cruising lanes!!) and I'll cover the edges of the weeds so I can trick fish both moving in and out of them looking for forage.
A good trick during summer is finding a shady area with shrimp feeders and anchoring off the area in say 12' of water. This works best with a steeper bank (weed patch and fallen timber off a deeper area) and a faster sinking line. I'll start as normal fishing the shallow weedy area BUT as the shade begins to head back to bank with the movement of the sun I'll switch from the slime to the type 6 or whatever and then cast TO the cover/weeds (not in them) begin a slow hand weave counting down and THEN begin my 'shrimp retrieve'.
What I am doing here is imitating the scuds moving down into deeper water (a daily migration of sorts) and away from the light.

There's more to it but those are the basics of Shrimp 101. :)

Here's a beaut from last year at Leighton using the deeper water option:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:04:46 AM by Randy Paskall »

Chad Vandermolen

• 4 Star Member
  • A.K.A Lawfish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »
Thanks very much Randy.  Appreciate the fly, the why, and `Shrimp 101`! 8)

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 07:09:26 AM »
Always good to aid a fellow Dutchman in need. My Mother's Maiden name was Terpstra. ;)