Author Topic: Summer Beach fishing  (Read 862 times)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Summer Beach fishing
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:24:46 AM »
One of the nicest fishing times is on warm summer July/August days and evenings in pursuit of coho and cutthroat along some of our beaches.  It can be hit and miss action, but it is tough to complain when you can wet-wade into the water, take your shirt off, and enjoy the warmth of the sun on your back...

I spent two recent times out on the water (no more than an hour or two each time unfortunately), with the family on the beach building sand castles or catching crabs, and myself pounding the eelgrass and gravel.

A number of bullheads/scuplin were caught, and one healthy young coho about 2-3 pounds (beauty), but no signs of any other fish.  But I'm not complaining... (except the lack of fish pictures... even one of the sculpins would have been nice honey, but I understand that the camera is focused on the kids first, and me second...  ;) ).

I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Mike Learmonth

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Beach fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »
nice, and those probably both add to your species caught this year!
sculpin's count right? ... right?
Team Kingfisher member

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:01:28 AM »
Not if he's in the fresh water species race. Bullheads are eay in the brackish and salt, tougher to find in fresh for sure.
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Rory E. Glennie

• 5 Star Member
  • "Angling to Exceed Your Expectations"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:15:54 AM »
Nice looking beach!
Gotta love those Staghorns, beats hooking into the weeds and bringing in a bunch of salad.
Behaving like a mini Lingcod they come in with their mouth wide open and it seems like you are towing in a sea-anchor... great fun.
Cheers!
Rory
Ghillie -- A wise and discreet waterside companion to genteel fly fishers... that's me.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
Yeah these were in the salt but I expect to get them in the fresh before year end. Got to give randy some competition!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.