Author Topic: More Bass  (Read 693 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
More Bass
« on: August 14, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
I've got this lake exactly 45 minutes from home which is semi-private. I know a way in which, so far, doesn't seem to upset the cabin owners.   It has a shared launch which the cabin owners use that don't have a one of their own.  They are waving at me....so far so good, unlike a neighbouring lake where they are not friendly at all.  Private water is always better because there is much less harvest and the fish are a lot more friendly.  These pictures are from two trips, one a week ago, the other yesterday.  On my last report, I was also at a 'private' lake and casting to shore was a good way to catch some pretty big fish.  That doesn't work at this lake for some reason.  We've been having an unusually wet summer and I think the rainwater changes the chemistry of the lake turning the bass off the bite, as much as bass are ever 'off the bite'.  Get some food item in front of them, and they will eat!  The question is finding them and doing exactly that.  Right now, at this lake, they are near the drop-off in 20 to 30 feet of water.  I had the stillwater line on but got much more action with the #3 sink, at least the first time.  It reversed the second time.  The first trip fly of choice was a surprise....a size 3 Mrs Simpson.  Didn't do much the second time.  That best fly was a black and green WB on a slow troll or retrieve.  The 30" pike took a few minutes to get in even with my 5/6 Switch.

My first trip had me landing 8 or 9 in the 16-18" range, the second trip was not as productive, maybe three. Lots of 12" SM.  They are a pretty feisty fish.  Sometimes you think you have a really big one on, only to find it is 12-14".

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:58:12 PM by Bob Jurmain »

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: More Bass
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »
Gorgeous smallies!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: More Bass
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:17:59 AM »
Beautiful fish and photos Bob! Thanks for sharing them with us!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...