Author Topic: peacock herl or not?  (Read 2810 times)

Ron Thompson

• 5 Star Member
  • Kamloops, B.C. Canada
    • View Profile
    • www.thekamloopsflyshop.blogspot.ca
peacock herl or not?
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
A number of years ago we were fishing dragon lake and we found a school of fish and I found that my Olive king chironomid was working in a size 14, so I told my buddy and he put one on and I was still out fishing him 5 to 1, so I proceeded to tell him he should practice his tying. (ha ha)
     We then made a comparison of he two flies; well I was in a rush to get some tied for the trip I did not tie in peacock herl before the bead(a step I skipped for speed) and he had tied in the herl on his fly. The only difference  between the two flies was he had peacock herl tied in before the bead and I did not. Once my buddy put on one of my chironomids he started matching me fish for fish.
     If someone had told me that such a small thing could make a difference I would not have believed it. Now I do some of each just in case.
ron
Fishing is not about fish.
THE TUG IS THE DRUG
Do you want flies with that order.
www.thekamloopsflyshop.blogspot.ca

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
Re: peacock herl or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:06:11 AM »
I like the look of herl and I use it for the most part, but when things get small (14 and smaller) I ignore it entirely.
Thought for you. Perhaps the herl was belying the size of choice for the forage IE the herl was taking up some of the size of hook and misrepresented in that way.
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Ron Thompson

• 5 Star Member
  • Kamloops, B.C. Canada
    • View Profile
    • www.thekamloopsflyshop.blogspot.ca
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »
That could be Randy and It could have happened in previous years without me knowing. I have found now that when I go 16 or smaller I leave out herl and gills and still have good action on a variety of chironomids tied this way.
Fishing is not about fish.
THE TUG IS THE DRUG
Do you want flies with that order.
www.thekamloopsflyshop.blogspot.ca

Chad Vandermolen

• 4 Star Member
  • A.K.A Lawfish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »
Generally no for me.  I only use it occasionally on some bomber-size patterns.  On smaller stuff, I find it disproportionately large for a thorax, and, even reinforced with superglue, etc, it isn't super durable. I do love peacock herl on lots of other patterns like micro leeches, diawl backs, halfbacks and other nymph styles, but I'm just not a fan of using it on c-mid patterns.