Author Topic: Lockport, MB - March 22  (Read 1414 times)

Nick Laferriere

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nick Laferriere
Lockport, MB - March 22
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:31:59 PM »
Well I got out today for the first time this year! Was absolutely amazing, getting out and loosing up the rusty ole casting arm!

I took out the St.Croix Bank Robber 5wt and rigged it up with an Airflo Polyleader. Was my first time using both and I was very impressed! The Bank Robber casts very nicely with a lot of reserved power in the back end! It bombs out casts quite nicely but is still super light weight and sensitive. The Polyleader was great! Easy to attach and worked perfectly to get my fly down to where I needed it!

I started out on one of my favorite stretches. My third cast I landed a goldeye! What a way to start the year!

I continued working the stretch and picked up a couple sauger and a decent little walleye. They were hitting hard although few and far between. The fly I chose was a streamer with a fish skull to add weight. The hot colour for me was brown/tan/white. Talking to the other guys the consensus was that streamers seemed to be the hot ticket, although Joel managed to catch 3 small pike on backswimmer patterns. Pretty funny.

A few other fly fishers showed up and it was great to fish with some good friends! We had the stretch all to ourselves and everyone was able to get into fish. Stephen was able to catch two nice catfish as well! Bonus! Channel Cats in March…how sweeeet!

As the sun waned, the breeze started to die out and I decided to cast a wee bit longer after taking a break to chat and take some pictures. I ended the day with two great walleye! Both had very bright iridescent green backs…hence their nickname “greenbacks”. The last fish of the night was a beauty 24″ walleye!

I still can’t believe how nice it was out there especially for it being only March 22! I didn’t even care if I caught anything, just being out, casting a fly rod; that’s what it’s all about. Catching a few fish was just a bonus in my opinion. Sharing the water and sharing the experience with fellow fly fishers was equally rewarding.

A last photo to remember the day. Some goose tracks that I thought would make a great photo

http://weedbed.blog.com/2012/03/early-spring-outing/

Nick
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:18:50 PM by Nick Laferriere »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Lockport, MB - March 22
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
Excellent report and photos Nick!! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us! I cam only imagine how hard th channel cats must pull.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:02:14 PM »
I do miss Lockport!  I have relatives in Winnipeg, and whenever I went out to visit, I'd visit Lockport to flyfish.  Carp, Cats, Walleye, Sauger, Pike, Bass... am I missing anything in the smorgasbord?  I can't say I ever caught one of the goldeyes there.

I only regret that I never caught one of the cats on the fly... but most others.

Thanks for giving me some good memories from those pictures!  I need to get back there.

I'd like to get out there to see Janos and the MB team too.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Nick Laferriere

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nick Laferriere
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »
Thanks Todd and Chris! Was truly great to get out and wet a line! Was a long winter!!!

Catfish sure are something! When the water warms up to 50ºF+  they really give a heck of a tug! In the icy waters they're pretty lethargic. If you hit the river during a feeding frenzy its unbelievable how many cats you can catch on the fly! Most people think they're just a bottom-feeder but I've seen them chase down 10-13inch goldeye! They're definitely apex predators.

Last year was a bust because of the flooding but two years ago was incredible for catfish! In two days I caught some freak-nasty tanks! The second picture is the largest cat I've ever landed. Was 38.75" long and it was incredibly fat! Was over 30lbs. My arms were like jelly after that guy. lol

Even a 9-weight is underpowered at times, especially if they take you into the main current! It took my buddy Stephen a good 15-20mins to land a 34.5" cat today using a 10' 9-weight rod! They are a blast!

I was not prepared to land any cats today. I only brought my 5-weight, figuring it would be too early for catfish. But tomorrow I'm bringing a 9-weight! lol

Nick

Alastair Grogan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
I do miss Lockport!  I have relatives in Winnipeg, and whenever I went out to visit, I'd visit Lockport to flyfish.  Carp, Cats, Walleye, Sauger, Pike, Bass... am I missing anything in the smorgasbord?

Yup, Goldeye and Freshwater Drum.  I used to catch Drum at Lockport by the barrel load.

Nick Laferriere

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nick Laferriere
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Ya in May/early June the drum head into the floodway outlet to spawn and it gets just downright thick with them in there! I think my best was 30 consecutive casts I landed fish. lol. They're not a bad little scrap but they tire in under a minute. The really big ones are a hoot though!

It's such a primo little spot. Too bad there's so much littering and stuff going on there. =S

Nick

Alastair Grogan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 05:27:40 AM »
Has the river ice upstream already broken up and melted?

Nick Laferriere

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nick Laferriere
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
Yup the river's totally ice-free. Just lots of debris flowing down the main channel of the river. Trees, branches, etc.

Nick