Author Topic: Leech flies  (Read 3297 times)

Micke.H

• 3 Star Member
  • Lilla Edet, Sweden
    • View Profile
    • Scandinavia fly design
Leech flies
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:31:49 AM »
Here is some  Leach patterns I tied  :)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Leech flies
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »
Very nice! I really like how rabbit fur moves in the water. Would you mind posting the recipe?

Thanks,
Todd
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Micke.H

• 3 Star Member
  • Lilla Edet, Sweden
    • View Profile
    • Scandinavia fly design
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »
Thanks, here is the recipe:
Hook: heavy black single hook
Tread: same color as the body I use uni-tread 8/0
Tail: rabbit zonker stripes (Hends )
Body: rabbit zonker stripes (Hends )
Head: same color of the head type yellow fly yellow tread and head

Start whit the tread and witch color you going to have to the fly take a bit zonker stripes and use to the tail, tie in some flash if you want, then wrap the rest of the zonker stripes around the hook to the front of your fly and tie a nice smooth head.

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »
Here is my version of the Minky.  I was watching a UTube video from NFF and the fellow said the mink was the best material for leech patterns.  I just happen to have a good sized bag of the stuff.  I should have got his name but he was a BC fisher who uses his Minkies during chironomid hatches.   And to prove it he caught two very nice sized Rainbows.   This is my thicker version.  I have some slimmer ones as sometimes they work better.   The bait hook will give more action.  I used Polar Chenille UV Purple/Blue for the body as that is what I had on hand.  I used black and red highlighter pens to cover the hide.  Tie in the front, then tie in the back. I will be trying this out next week on an overnighter at the Bing Retreat, private water near Kingston (as our public water is not very good this year).

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
I find thinner and sparser leeches get far more action than 'pudgy' ones in lakes. I'd use a dubbing loop and trap the hair between it, trim off the skin and twist that up OR use a 1/4" cross cut piece of hide/fur and bind it to the top of a sparsely dubbed hook shank with then end of the hide hanging off an 1/8th or 1/4".
Those would however be dandy for bull trout or steelhead swung in a river. =)
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 08:29:13 PM »
Nothing usually surprises me in flyfishing but when we brought Brian Chan and Phil Rowley over to Ottawa for a Seminar, Brian passed around two of his fly boxes.  My jaw literally dropped.  All of his leeches were two to three sizes smaller than mine and likely everyone else's in the room.  They were tiny and thin.  I spent the following winter downsizing ALL of my flies.  And I think my fishing performance improved.

Brian said that fishing small leeches is one way to fish a midge hatch.  Trout need plugs to keep all those chironomids from spilling out and small leeches are the ticket. You would need a couple of hundred buzzers to match the food value of a leech and I think the trout know that.

I know the method Randy is suggesting and I've done it but keeping the hid allows one to create a bit of a loop which imitates the natural.  I didn't quite do it as well as I could on my fly above but this is only my first attempt.

Keep tuned.  If I beat the pants off all of my buds next week, I think we may have a winner here.

Gordon Kalisch

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 07:31:10 AM »
Being a stillwater fisherman I prefer nice sparce leeches. Brian Chan's "Baby Damsel" fly on #10 & #12 hooks in olive, black and burgundy are probably my favorities along with the "Ruby Eye Leech" tied with black Arizona Simi Seal.