Author Topic: Comp #1 of the B.C. Provincial River Fly Fishing Championships - Dec 1, 2013  (Read 33474 times)

Andy Larkin

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
Woo-wee!  Can't wait to get out there. 

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
A private email with updates and more details about this competition has be sent to ALL 32 registered competitors, and to those that are on the Waiting List. Please contact Todd Oishi if you're registered for this competition (Comp #1), but didn't receive this update email: info@innovativeflyfisher.com

Please note the recent changes to the schedule (posted below and on the 1st page of this thread), which will allow us to maximize the daylight hours and avoid fishing or hiking out in the darkness (thanks for bringing this to my attention Aaron).

Also, please note that the 32 competitors will be split into 4 groups for this competition, with 8 competitors per Letter Group (Groups A, B, C, and D). These 4 Letter Groups will be split further into 2 subgroups that are identified as: "1" and "2". Example: Group A1, Group A2 - Group B1, Group B2 - Group C1, Group C2 - Group D1, Group D2.
All 8 competitors in each Letter Group will still be competing against the other competitors within their Letter Group...

The draw will be performed by an independent person and in front of 3 witnesses at Broco Auto Glass on the morning of Monday, November 25th at 11:00 AM (attendance by competitors is not required, but you're free to attend if you like), and will be posted shortly thereafter. 

Rotation:
Group     Session 1       Session 2        Session 3
Group A1:    Beat 1             Beat 7             Beat 5             
Group A2:    Beat 7             Beat 1             Beat 4               
Group B1:    Beat 2             Beat 6             Beat 3               
Group B2:    Beat 6             Beat 2             Beat 8               
Group C1:    Beat 3             Beat 4             Beat 7               
Group C2:    Beat 4             Beat 3             Beat 6               
Group D1:    Beat 5             Beat 8             Beat 1               
Group D2:    Beat 8             Beat 5             Beat 2           

Schedule:
7:00am - Competitors' Meeting at Designated Location (details sent in private email to all competitors).
7:30am - Carpooling and departure for the river and their competition beats.

Session 1 (2 Hours):
Competitor 1 and 4 are paired on lower beat half - Competitor 2 and 3 are paired on upper beat half.
8:30 8:45am - Competitor 1 and 2
8:45 9:00am - Competitor 3 and 4
9:00 9:15am - Competitor 1 and 2
9:15 9:30am - Competitor 3 and 4
Rotate half beats: 9:30 9:40am
9:40 9:55am - Competitor 3 and 4
9:55 10:10am - Competitor 1 and 2
10:10 10:25am - Competitor 3 and 4
10:25 10:40am - Competitor 1 and 2

Relocation to Next Sector: 10:40 11:10am

Session 2 (2 Hours):
Competitor 1 and 3 are paired on lower beat half - Competitor 2 and 4 are paired on upper beat half.
11:10 11:25am - Competitor 3 and 4
11:25 11:40am - Competitor 1 and 2
11:40 11:55am - Competitor 3 and 4
11:55 12:10pm - Competitor 1 and 2
Rotate half beats: 12:10 12:20pm
12:20 12:35pm - Competitor 1 and 2
12:35 12:50pm - Competitor 3 and 4
12:50 1:05pm - Competitor 1 and 2
1:05 1:20pm - Competitor 3 and 4

Relocation to Next Sector 1:20pm 1:50pm

Session 3 (2 Hours):
Competitor 1 and 2 are paired lower beat half - Competitor 3 and 4 are paired on upper beat half.
A single coin toss will be performed during the draw in order to determine the order for fishing.
1:50 2:05pm - Competitor Heads
2:05 2:20pm - Competitor Tails
2:20 2:35pm - Competitor Heads
2:35 2:50pm - Competitor Tails
Rotate half beats: 2:50 3:00pm
3:00 3:15pm - Competitor Tails
3:15 3:30pm - Competitor Heads
3:30 3:45pm - Competitor Tails
3:45 4:00pm - Competitor Heads

4:15pm:  Competitors' Meeting, final results, awards, and socializing at the Designated Location.

Thanks,
Todd
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Please print a copy of the above posted rotation and schedule, and/or save it on your Smart Phones for referencing during the competition and sessions, so everyone in your group will be aware of the start and stop times for each competitor during each of the sessions.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Due to a cancellation by Ross Pearson, Danielle Alleyn has now been moved off the waiting list and onto the list of competitors.

Here's the updated List of registered competitors:
1. Todd Oishi
2. Mike Oishi
3. Andy Larkin
4. Chris Puchniak
5. Mattia Mangione
6. Curtis Kehler
7. Travis Dougall
8. Doug Thorpe
9. Aaron Laing
10. Cody Wolfe
11. Gerald Wolfe
12. David Heine
13. Peter Huyghebaert
14. John Beaven
15. Gerry Nicol
16. John Wilkinson
17. Tyler Wilkinson
18. Jordan Viveiros
19. Noah Kelly
20. Ian Troup
21. Devin Ramsay
22. Rob Ramsay
23. Kevin Cucheron
24. Alistair Grogan
25. Paul Davidson
26. Evan Paterson
27. Vance Whitley
28. Paolo Mangione
29. Morgan Thorp
30. Claude Cipelletti
31. Agnes Fritz
32. Danielle Alleyn

Waiting List:
1. Clint Goyette
2. Max Cohen -Youth Team Member
3. Norm Godding
4. Micah Thorson
5. Sunny Van Der Kloof
6. Marc Bilan
7. Matthew Dirksen - Youth Team Applicant
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:17:23 AM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
An important update with maps of the beats; the no-fishing-period;and several other items has been sent out this morning. Please contact Todd Oishi if you're registered for this competition, but didn't receive this important update email: info@innovativeflyfisher.com

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:00:18 AM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Update #3:

Another email was sent out this morning. The latest update (Update #3) contains detailed maps of all 8 river beats, as well as the exact mileage and directions to each of the river beats.

Please print a copy of each map, and carry it in your Ziploc bags for reference on the day of the competition. Please contact me if you didn't receive this email: info@innovativeflyfisher.com

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
Great instructions and detail!!!!! :)

But you forgot to mark the spots where the fish like to bite ??? ???

Johnnybull
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Great instructions and detail!!!!! :)

But you forgot to mark the spots where the fish like to bite ??? ???

Johnnybull

Didn't Todd add to the bottom for YOU to send back all YOUR hot spots?   ;)

Inquiring minds want to know.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
As Jim Carrey would say "Alrighty then!!"

Follow the trail with leaves on it (can't miss it) to the Y. There, to your left, you will see my broken rod tips in the blackberry bushes that I fell into :-[. Don't take that trail!! Take the one to the right that pops you out onto the river where you'll be standing on Brutus's and his dog Ripper's private property ???. He didn't really like me and I didn't like his sawed-off shotgun so I swam down river 50 yards to a little island :P. Walk down on the left side of island so you don't step in the mess I had to take out of my wader's from meeting Brutus :-[. Anyway's at the bottom tip of the island is a SWEET run. Fish Galore! Carefull when entering run do not trip on the submerged truck tires like I did >:( Cast all the way over to the far side and fish that back eddy. If you can manage to slide your red beetle pattern between the sunken barbwired fence and the shopping cart YOU ARE GOLDEN!! ;D

Next post will be the canyon hole ;) Outstanding fishing after waking up from falling 40' down a cliff! ;D ;D

Johnnybuck
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ross Pearson

• 5 Star Member
  • Langley, BC Canada
    • View Profile
Man it is killing :-[ me having to drop out of this one and getting all the e-mails from Todd. Have a great time everyone and good luck, see you at the next one.

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
Next post will be the canyon hole ;) Outstanding fishing after waking up from falling 40' down a cliff! ;D ;D

Is that the one wher you bounced twice or three times? I get them mixed up. ;)
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Just a friendly reminder that the competition beats on this river venue have a no-fishing-period in effect from Monday, November 25th to Friday, November 29th.

Good-luck to all of you that are heading out this weekend! I'd really appreciate any feedback that you're willing to share (by email) regarding how the beats have been fishing for you, and any concerns that you might have. I don't need any specifics on patterns or techniques, just fish numbers and observations, which would be very much appreciated and helpful for future considerations of the quality of these beats.

Cheers,
Todd

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Saw lots of guys on the water today keeping the fish 'honest'.  A lot I know I missed as well!

Water is in gorgeous shape right now...
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Kevin Cucheron

• 5 Star Member
  • BCCFFL Organizer
    • View Profile
Saw lots of guys on the water today keeping the fish 'honest'.  A lot I know I missed as well!

Water is in gorgeous shape right now...

There's no fish in that there river.  ;)
Team Kingfisher member

If someone says you fish too much, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.