Author Topic: Do you love boobies???  (Read 8465 times)

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Coquitlam BC Canada
    • View Profile
Do you love boobies???
« on: November 01, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Yes I know I walked into that one but seriously I want to hear from guys who that is their goto fly.
What's your favorite pattern?
What line?
What retrieve?
Sorry but even after over 20 years of marriage I am still confused when it comes to boobies.
I guess  marriage and fly fishing doesn't cross over enough  ::)
Haha
Caint wait the ribbing I gonna get on this one.
 ::)
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Do you love boobies???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
Cant wait the ribbing I gonna get on this one.
 ::)

I don't usually put ribbing on my boobies.   ;)

Great patten because it is so versatile.  Very good on the top water because of the disturbance pattern and acoustic noise it makes.  Very good in the deep water because of the vertical movement and acoustic sounds it makes.  Great on a team of flies because of the unique floatibility it has, which affects the whole team, plus the noise it makes to attract fish towards the less 'visible' flies on the team.

The only negative is you have to try and fish them with some speed to help prevent fish from swallowing too deep.

I don't know what is my favourite of them.  Each colour combination seems to have itis place, and I have a box dedicated to just boobies now.  There are so many fritz-type materials on the market in the 10mm size, and eyes from 5-10mm diameter, and in every colour, that you can build a multitude of combos.

I think basic black is tough to beat some days.  Probably my favourite (though maybe not always the best combo) would be a black booby (with a team of flies) on the point on a Di7 with an FTA retrieve.  Very classic (if you can call a booby application classic).

But my wife tells me there are also boobies I'm not allowed to share with others.  So I can't tell you about my favourites unfortunately.  Did I say that 'dead pan' enough?
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:02:27 AM »
Definitely one of my favourite patterns on lakes around here for Brown and Rainbows.

here are a few that I tie just to change up the profile and imitate a leech.

I usually fish them the same as you would a regular Boobie on a sinking line.
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

James York

• Victoria, B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
YES!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I have just learned this year to fish with boobies, something else that's fun to do with boobies, who knew?

Been working light colored ones with a complementing color for eyes and tail.  Found that a slightly longer tail was better, my earlier ties the tail was about 1/2 body length.   Planned on tying an all-black but haven't tried one yet.

Fished on a full sink line, 6ft leader& tippet, in about 25 - 30ft of water, cast out as  far as possible, let sink to bottom,  varied retrieve, some days slow and long pulls but more often quick short strokes, 6"-8".  Find being erratic is the most important.  2 or 3 strokes then quick pause, couple more then longer pause...

Orange, yellow, green, pink, and variations are currently in testing.   I have never seen versions like Gary is showing.  Might be worth a try.  Gary are you using these patterns in lakes with leeches?
James

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
Yes I am using them in lakes with leeches. But I have also used them in lakes with large minnow populations and have very few leeches. I am working on floating minnow patterns as well again a change in profile. For me it is the draw of the fly making it pull down and then the pause allowing it to float back up that is the trigger on floating patterns when they are fished near bottom structure.
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.

Danie Erasmus

• 5 Star Member
  • Prince George, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • Prince George Fly Fisher
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 08:27:03 AM »
I have tried them but have not had the success they claimed to have

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »
I find that boobies are really "team" flies--i.e. they shine in multi-fly rigs. Here in BC with the single fly rule, I'm often reluctant to tie one on (same with blobs). I have however fished "boobie" damsels in natural colours along weed beds using a full sink line and have had some success. Likewise I've used the brighter versions when all else fails and managed to bring a few fish to hand, but all in all they are not my go to flies for lake fishing.

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »
They can be effective at times but they are not always the ticket to success. Again size and color can play a huge role as any pattern can. You don't always have the time to tie on multiple boobie's to find the one pattern that lights them up. I agree with Aaron they do work well in a team ;)

John
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
I like the idea of using them in a team of 3 Booby's. Having said that I have not done so as to speak. I have used them as the point fly and have one or two other styles of (Buzzers, nymphs,etc.).flies ahead of them. This way they suspend the flies off bottom when using a sinking line. Last year on a very cool June day I was out with a friend on a local lake. A cold front moved in on us for the next two days. Out of the six other people fishing there for the next two days I spoke with several of the anglers. None really reported anything good and most had caught less than 3 each per day. We on the other hand picked up fish in the deepest section of the lake which was 28 feet and slowly moved the above system through the lake centre on a slow wind drift. The takes were subtle but it produced 20 plus fish a day between us. I fished them a fair amount this summer on different lakes. They were not always the best producers, but they certainly caught their share of fish this summer, even under some very adverse conditions.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:44:35 PM by Gary Hanke »

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 09:50:29 AM »
Gary,

When I said in a team, I didn't mean to imply having three on the line. I  have fished them as you have with the Boobie on point, with different patterns at top and middle, but I've also put them in middle or top dropper depending on the presentation I'm looking for. They are very versatile in a team of flies, but less so on their own. Mind you I have ripped one through the water on occasion and had great success, but those situations are pretty rare. Anyway that's my take on it.

Aaron
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:32:05 AM by Aaron Laing »
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »
Gary,

When I said in a team, I didn't mean to imply having three on the line. I  have fished them as you have with the Boobie on point, with different patterns at top and middle, but I've also pout them in middle and point depending on the presentation I'm looking for. They are very versatile in a team of flies, but less so on their own. Mind you I have ripped one through the water on occasion and had great success, but those situations are pretty rare. Anyway that's my take on it.

Aaron

Exactly what Aaron just said ;)

Johnnyoobie
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
I've definitely done very well fishing a single booby, or as a team of two on a multi-fly rig.  Can't say I've used three boobies at a time, but two is very doable and productive at times.  Both eitehr just sub-surface, or on a very fast sinking line.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 02:32:47 PM »
All being said, why not a team of three. I can't see a reason why one couldn't.

James York

• Victoria, B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 11:50:04 AM »
What line are you using and length of leader and tippet for a booby fly in top water?  I assumed a blob was a top water version of a booby but this appears to not be the case?

Do you still use an type 2 or 3 line and just retrieve fast enough to get some up and down bounce without the full sink or is there another approach?

I have worked a blob very early in the morning, just as the sun is peaking over the horizon.  There is a lot of activity until the sun is fully up and I find the bigger fish seem to go down a bit.  This is when I switch to a booby on the full sink and work the bottom.  I have been playing with different lengths of leader and found 4-6ft most effective.

Anyone use a longer or shorter tippet?

Thanks, James

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
C'mon guys - you can't fish three boobies at a time - its unnatural.
I Fish - therefore I am!