Author Topic: Pheasant Tail Crayfish  (Read 3714 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
Pheasant Tail Crayfish
« on: December 24, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »

Here is my favorite crayfish pattern from Bob Sheedy.  When I fish brookie water that I know or suspect has crayfish, this is my first choice of fly.  It is a bit difficult to tie but once you get the hang of it, simple as pie (not Granny's pie though).

Caught my limit at Kenauk's Collins Lake in less than an hour when others were still struggling.  (Of course I didn't keep all of them, just a couple because fish that eat these are great to eat themselves).

I make my legs and tails bigger because I like to push water as much as possible.  For those that don't know, crayfish scoot backwards when in danger.

You have to fish these deep and close to snags so you need to have a few extras with you at all times.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Pheasant Tail Crayfish
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 01:10:22 PM »
Excellent pattern Bob! Thanks for sharing this one with us! I could have used that pattern a few years back while fishing a high country lake that was full of those little critters!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 06:10:27 PM »
Here is one I cooked up Bob - the foam pincers make the fly take a "fighting" stance when you pause the retrieve.  Best in shallow water near shore where the big guys cruise lookin for Crawdads. :)
I Fish - therefore I am!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »
Very nice Peter! Also very innovative using the foam for pinchers. How well do they stand up after a few fish?
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
Those pincers would have a lot of action!  I'll have to try adding that to my pattern. It would drive bass mad!

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
Todd, They last surprisingly well probably because they stretch quite nicely - I slit the foam and crazy glue the leg tip in, so it is pretty strong. I have had at least three fish with one that still has both claws and also have caught one fish with a fly that had one claw missing - it had a very "tasty" action I guess - crippled. So far have used it only in lakes, but I'm going to try it this summer in the Cowichan, which is full of crayfish. And Bob - yes the pincers really have a lot of action.  I tend to cast it out, let it sink to the bottom (intermediate tip) then strip it, pause and then strip it again and then wait about 30 seconds to repeat.  The hook is a bent Tiemco 777SP, which has a wicked  long point which I bend in slightly.  The front has quite a few turns of lead in addition to the Tungsten bead.  You have to play around with it a bit to make sure it sinks quite fast, but the claws keep the front up a bit in plain view of the fish and in the fighting stance. The foam pincers weren't my idea - the rest of the tie is mine.
I Fish - therefore I am!