Author Topic: Todd's Vampire Leech  (Read 6607 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Todd's Vampire Leech
« on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:50 AM »

Todd's Vampire Leech

I thought that I'd share a fly pattern that I developed almost a decade ago, and have been using with great success throughout my competitive fly fishing career and recreationally for quite some time now. I originally named this pattern the Vampire Leech (the original body material was a black UV Fritz that I purchased in the U.K. that was called "Vampire Vippy), but it was soon after renamed "Todd's Vampire Leech", by my team mates and other competitors that were exposed to this pattern and discovered just who effective and deadly this pattern can be for stillwater and river angling.

This pattern was published in Phil Rowley's Stillwater Selections recipe book in 2008, and was submitted, by request, for Toni Lolli's Fly Pattern Book in 2012. It's also been on YouTube and published online numerous times. Todd's Vampire Leech is my trademark/signature pattern, and has proved to be one of the most reliable and effective stillwater patterns in the North American competitive fly fishing circuit. It is tied with UV materials and either rabbit or marabou for the tail material. I tie it in a variety of colours (black UV, olive UV, claret UV, and Brown UV) and sizes, but find it to be most effective when tied on size 8 and 10 wide gaps hooks. I should also mention that it works very well as a river pattern by simply using a fluorescent orange bead instead of the chartreuse bead (chartreuse is more effective for deeper presentations).

Todd's Vampire Leech has helped my team mates and me to find a spot on the podium at numerous fly fishing competitions and national championships, and a recent article in a major US fly fishing magazine told the tale of how this pattern was instrumental for helping Cam Chioffi (member of USA's youth fly fishing team) avoid a blank during his final session and go on to win the individual gold medal at the 2013 Youth World Fly Fishing Championships in Ireland last summer.

This pattern has been held as a secret by many of those who use it, and is often imitated by others, but the original form of this pattern has stood the test of time, and proved to be an extremely effective pattern for all species of trout.

I hope you tie up a few over the winter, as I'm sure that they'll prove their value and earn a place on the top row of your stillwater fly boxes...

Enjoy, and good-luck!

Cheers,
Todd

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Gordon Kalisch

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Todd's Vampire Leech
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »
Thanks for the information Todd.

How are you fishing this fly?

Under and indicator with a floating line or ??

It's great to see some posting of flies on this forum I am getting inspired to tie some flies.

John Wilkinson

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »
Kinda neat pattern Todd. I have never heard or used this fly before. Looks silly to me :-\ Maybe I will try one in the future.

Johnnybuck
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »
Kinda neat pattern Todd. I have never heard or used this fly before. Looks silly to me :-\ Maybe I will try one in the future.

Johnnybuck

Lol.

Actually, my comment is how did you sneak this scret fly out of my fly box without me noticing?   ;)

Thanks for sharing a pattrrn of yours that has certainly become well known!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Andy Larkin

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »
Todd,
Are you still using the VIPPY or have you switched over to using UV Brill or Polar Chenille?

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »
I have a dwindling supply of Vippy that I still use for comp flies, but I've been using both Canadian Llama's UV Brill and Hareline Dubbing Companies' Polar Chenille with good success as well...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Rod Boisvert

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. FlyRod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:55:18 AM »
MORNING TODD , WHERE WILL I BE ABLE TO PICK UP THE MATERIAL'S TO TYE THE VIPPY , SHOULD I GO THROUGH  "ROBINSON SPORT'S " IN VICTORIA ?

FlyRod.

Dennis Southwick

• 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 06:37:09 AM »
Rod I have some of Canadain Llama's  UV Brill I will bring to to the club tonight to show you what it looks like.

Todd I will try and incorperate the UV Brill into the Llama leach that I gave you.  Can not wait to try that out on the Grayling and Trout out  this way.

Tight Lines Always
Dennis S