Author Topic: Sea-run Cutthroat, what else?  (Read 848 times)

Rory E. Glennie

• 5 Star Member
  • "Angling to Exceed Your Expectations"
    • View Profile
Sea-run Cutthroat, what else?
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
What a difference a day or four makes. Went out to the beach again yesterday. There was no one else around, save for a pair of canoeists passing silently well beyond casting range. Conditions were about as perfect as they could be; there was only a slight steady breeze to aid in hanging the fly line out there a bit further, nicely wind-rippled water surface to hide a sloppy cast, no floating debris to tangle the fly, incoming tide to bring the fish in closer, a load of gulls searching for baitfish, a couple of Harbour seals patrolling for their dinner, warm and sunny so no cold hands today. All the signs were in favour of a great fishing day.
About the only thing lacking was the obvious presence of Sea-runs; there were no fish rising to the surface, none jumping, no arrowhead wakes as they chased some subsurface fare, no balls of baitfish breaking into a spray of silver as a Cutthroat crashed through the school. Nothing... nada.
Despite the lack of apparent sea-run activity, an hour of blind casting and moving along the beach did produce one Cuttie. A nice plump trout came out of nowhere and graced my hook. And that was all she wrote. And that was enough. It was a good day.
Cheers!
Rory
Ghillie -- A wise and discreet waterside companion to genteel fly fishers... that's me.

Joe Gluck

• 5 Star Member
  • Zürich, Switzerland 17 months and counting!
    • View Profile
Re: Sea-run Cutthroat, what else?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »
A beautiful fishery I always wanted to experience.

Thanks for sharing Rory!

-J
Tie one up, bro!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Sea-run Cutthroat, what else?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:46:01 PM »
Thanks for the report Rory! You're truly living the dream!!  :)
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...