Author Topic: Char Babies  (Read 993 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
Char Babies
« on: May 18, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »

I haven't been posting but that doesn't mean I haven't been fishing!  We just got back from Pourvoirie Baroux, a couple of hours out of Ottawa.  We went to this venue because Lac Vinet is stocked with Arctic Char.  Having never fished char (other than Brook Trout), I was intrigued.   They are quite the groupies.  Once you find them, you are in for a treat.   Twice I had two on at the same time.  This one is about 16 inches which is just about the largest we caught.  If they had been Rainbows, I would have had a more difficult time getting them in but they do have shoulders (like Brook Trout).  They don't jump much.

As you can see, Todd's Vampire Leech was a favorite.  There was a significant mayfly hatch at the time and I put on a PT Nymph as the point fly.  They only took that fly if the Leech was already occupied, LOL.  But I did catch one who chose it over the VL.  I only caught one fish on the dry which surprised me.

We caught significant numbers of Brook Trout and a few Rainbows.  I'll report more on this trip....too busy getting ready to go out fishing again!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Char Babies
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 08:53:20 PM »
I never fished Vinet!  I fished Des Isles, Renversie (sp?), and Long.  Great set of lakes though!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
Re: Char Babies
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
What! You didn't fish Verrat. It was right there beside Renversis.  It is a small lake but recommended by Jim Iredale of Tremblant.  I had only enough time to get my line out from the launch and this fellow was on.

Baroux has some fairly sized 2nd and 3rd year Brookies as well.  They sure like the dark leech patterns.

My go to fly these days is the Black Coney Leech, certainly as the dropper.