Author Topic: Local Brook Trout Fishing  (Read 1157 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
Local Brook Trout Fishing
« on: May 20, 2014, 01:18:23 PM »

I don't often go out to my local waters on holiday weekends as the lakes may be crowded but the trout fishing has been lacking as of late due I believe to excessive harvesting.  I noticed on my way that some lakes were empty of fishers!   However, I have got two lakes that are less than an hour from home that are producing this year.  These pictures are from my favorite little brook trout lake.  There was a worm fisher there when I arrived and he had taken out what was likely a third year fish.  There aren't many in this lake.  But I did manage to catch one on my best dry fly, the white Phentex Humpy.  We still have a small boatman hatch and I believe the Humpy imitates it somewhat.  I have various Boatman patterns but they don't seem to do as well as the old standby.

I also had some action on a dropped chironomid off the humpy.  I like this arrangement.  The fish is attracted to the dry on the surface and on its way up it spots this other food item.  So you can have the activity of dry fly fishing and the advantages of the less exciting midge fishing all in one.  I've been doing this for years and apparently so has Joe Humphries as he told us at his seminar last winter.

You will notice the Muncher fly in one of the photos.  That fly is shown in the flytying section of this website.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Local Brook Trout Fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:40 PM »
Bob, these are beautiful!
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »
This small lake, an hour from Ottawa, is a real treasure.  I've often argued with MNR that it should be a Catch and Release lake to no avail.  Recently I spread Brian Graves ashes at the center of the lake. It was his favorite lake too.  Many may have known him as a moderator, helpful advisor at Fish-hawk and Hipwader and an enthusiastic fly fisher.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
Those are incredibly beautiful brook trout Bob! Their markings never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for sharing the story about Brian! I never met him, but wish I had...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...