Author Topic: Bosnia and Herzegovina  (Read 1531 times)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Bosnia and Herzegovina
« on: June 02, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
Anyone ever travelled to Bosnia/Herzegovina in the past 5-8 years and fished the region?  Quite a mountainous region with lots of rivers to fish, and some impressive grayling.

The Worlds take place the mid-June of 2015, and I'd be interested to hear about any reports from those who have been there - fishing or otherwise.

Thanks in advance!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bosnia and Herzegovina
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:38:06 PM »
Hi Chris, 

I have fished in Bosnia, even before break-up of Yugoslavia, since 1970's with the exception of period of the civil war.   
I found people pleasant, food "ok" if you like Kebab,  Ćevapi or or other Serbo-Croat dishes. The lodging is spartan, but acceptable.  AND  the waters were EXCELLENT, truly the  last fly fishing frontiers in Europe.

Major river are NERETVA, PLIVA, RIBNIK, KLOKOT are fish rich with Grayling and trout. A 60 cm trout is not an trophy, its considered average catch.  My Favorite is RIBNIK although I have fished all the other three as well. Ribnik is for dry flies.

These rivers sometimes get full in May and June, so this is the period one has to take his chances. In 2013 I found RIBNIK ful but I still manged to fish.

Most visitors are anglers from Italy, Germany and lot of French people,  but it is  not  mass tourism,  only anglers, so there is no rod pressure. 30 anglers a day are allowed on on each.

Last time I was there was in 2013, I had a package for 5 days and 4 night, with unlimited fishing and found the cost of permits and food and lodging in Bosnia.

Best Time to fish there is May and Jun although the rivers are somehow full.

License Prices per day:   EUR40 40, but if you reserve lodging through them it is EUR30.
License is valid  for all the rivers. Annual License is EUR300 valid for all rivers.
Rivers are opened to fly fishing 12month a year, no limit on fish.
for reservation you can call   Mr. Goran Vukovic, goranvukovic@blic.net.  Tell you got his reference from  Alex with PIPAM (Italian Federation of Fly fishers). 

If you need more info don't hesitate to ask.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:56:42 PM by Alex Berger »
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:39:32 PM »
-
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:42:23 PM by Alex Berger »
Walt Whitman

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:54:54 AM »
Thanks Alex.  Looks like rich country for fishing.

Do they have any unusual regulations?  Do they permit three flies?

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »
Regulation 2012

-On all four major rivers only 30 anglers per day allowed. If the guests stay at the lodging offered by the river authority, then this number can be increased.  It is best to make reservation ahead  of the time for lodging and fishing permits

-Fishing with 3 nymphs or steamers.
-All flies must be barbless.
-Anglers are allowed to keep only one rainbow trout.
-Regulation for keeping additional trophies:

-Fario must be over 55 cm. Grayling over 50, Danubain Salmon over 70 cm. and pike over 40.

trophy is paid at 2 Euro per cm.

"Last time I fished in Bosnia most trout I caught were between 20 to 25 cm. Rarely caught anything over 40 cm."

When in Bosnia don't miss fishing on River Kolkot. This is a spring fed chalk stream near Bihac.   It has  very large  Fario, Rainbows, and Graylings. 
 The beat is 8 km.  Kolkot is managed by a privately  owned Company called Riz Kraina that provides permits, lodging,( room will cost 20 Euro per day) and manage a small restaurant for the visitors.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:38:52 AM by Alex Berger »
Walt Whitman

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 10:36:27 AM »
Thanks Alex!

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:06:23 PM »
Chris
one last suggestion  if I may: its best if your flights land in Italy, Austria or any other West European Country where you rent a car and proceed Bosnia.

Whatever you do, do not enter Bosnia from Croatia or Serbia.  At the border the will have issues about the rental car, cameras, gear, etc.
Walt Whitman

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 05:51:07 AM »
Chris
one last suggestion  if I may: its best if your flights land in Italy, Austria or any other West European Country where you rent a car and proceed Bosnia.

Whatever you do, do not enter Bosnia from Croatia or Serbia.  At the border the will have issues about the rental car, cameras, gear, etc.

Thanks Alex!