Author Topic: 2015 North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships - June 9-13, 2015  (Read 32715 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship

North American Loch-Style
Fly Fishing Championships
June 9-13, 2015

Fly fishers from across North America and around the World are invited submit applications to attend this international loch-style fly fishing competition. Members of the national teams of Canada, the U.S.A., and the United Kingdom have already registered and will be on hand and competing for the team and individual medals and titles. Please visit our website for more information, details, and updates on this event: http://www.flyfishingchampionship.com

Competition Venues:
Tunkwa Lake: 2 Sessions of competition with 3 hours per session – single fly only
Trojan Pond: 3 Sessions of competition with 3 hours per session - maximum of 3 flies

Schedule of Events:

Tuesday, June 9, 2015:
Official Practice Sessions: There will be two 3-hour official practice sessions at Tunkwa Lake on June 9, 2015
Session One: 9am - 12pm
Session Two: 2pm - 5pm

Wednesday, June 10, 2015:
9:00am - 3:00pm: Loch-Style Fly Fishing Masterclass with David Downie of Scotland (pre-registration required)
Official Meet & Greet at the Black Bull Pub: 6:00pm
Captains' Meeting and Draw at the Black Bull Pub: 6:30pm
Dinner at the Black Bull Pub: 7:00pm

Thursday, June 11, 2015
Competitors' Meeting:                  8:30am - 8:40am
Session 1: Tunkwa Lake               9:00am – 12:00pm   
Lunch Break:                             12:00pm – 1:00pm 
Session 2: Tunkwa Lake               1:30pm – 4:30pm       

Friday, June 12, 2015
Trojan Pond’s Gates Open 7:00am
Buffet Breakfast (meal included with entry fees) 7:30am - 8:30am
Competitors' Meeting:                 8:30am - 8:40am
Session 3: Trojan Pond                9:00am – 12:00pm   
Lunch Break at Trojan Pond:      12:00pm – 1:00pm 
Session 4: Trojan Pond                1:30pm – 4:30pm   

Saturday, June 13, 2015
Trojan Pond’s Gates Open 7:00am
Buffet Breakfast (meal included with entry fees) 7:30am - 8:30am
Competitors' Meeting:                    8:30am - 8:40am
Session 5: Trojan Pond                  9:00am – 12:00pm
Lunch at Trojan Pond:                  12:00pm – 1:00pm 
Pack up and help load boats...        1:00pm – 2:00   
Awards Ceremonies and Banquet:   6:00pm - 12:00pm

Competition Venues: Tunkwa Lake and the Trojan Pond - near the town of Logan Lake, British Columbia (45 minutes from Kamloops or 3 hours from Vancouver).
Number of Competition Sessions: Five, 3-hour sessions of loch-style fishing.
Entry fee: $225.00 per person (proceeds donated to B.C. Children's Hospital).
Entry fees include a breakfasts and lunches served at The Trojan Pond on Friday and Saturday.
Awards: Medals will be awarded to the top three teams and individuals, and the Cup to the top team.
Competition Rules: FIPS-MOUCHE rules apply with special permission being granted for the use of multiple fly rigs on the Trojan Pond competition venue (a maximum of 3 flies on this private water).
Eligible species: Rainbow Trout.
Minimum length: 18cm.
Maximum motor size: 9.9hp
Maximum Number of Participants: 70 competitors (fourteen 5-man teams).
No-fishing Policy: There will be a 30 day no-fishing policy in effect for Tunkwa Lake from May 9 - June 9, 2015. The Trojan Pond has a no-fishing policy in effect for a period of 60 days prior to the competition. All competitors and their agents are not allowed to fish the competition venues during these periods of time.

Official Practice Sessions: There will be two 3-hour official practice sessions at Tunkwa Lake on June 9, 2015
Session One: 9am - 12pm
Session Two: 2pm - 5pm
------------------------------------------------

Other practice waters: Competitors are free to practice on Leighton Lake, Logan Lake, Mamit Lake, Bose Lake, and other surrounding lakes, and are responsible for supplying their own boats for unofficial practice. Boats can be rented from Tunkwa Lake Resort and trailered to nearby lakes, or arrangements can be made to have rental boats moved to Leighton Lake for practice: www.tunkwalakeresort.com 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

New rules regarding registration requirements for the 2015 North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships!

◦ All Canadian teams that have 5 team members residing in B.C. and/or Alberta, are now required to supply a minimum of 3 boats and 3 licensed boat operators for the 2015 North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships.

◦ All Canadian teams that have 3 or 4 team members residing in B.C. and/or Alberta, are now required to supply a minimum of 2 boats and 2 licensed boat operators.

◦ All Canadian teams that have 2 team members residing in B.C. and/or Alberta, are now required to supply a minimum of 1 boat and 1 licensed boat operator.

◦ Youth Team members, as well as competitors and teams that are flying or traveling from destinations outside of Western Canada (B.C. and Alberta) are exempt from this rule.

◦ Failure to provide the required number of boats and licensed operators will result in the rejection of their team's registration and ability to participate at this event - without refunds.

This rule has been imposed to address the dire need for sufficient numbers of boats and licensed operators, and to accommodate the increasing numbers of competitors and teams that are traveling from great distances to attend this championship, and are unable to bring boats with them.

Teams that are flying or traveling from destinations outside of Western Canada (B.C. and Alberta) and Youth Team members are exempt from this rule.

Please remember that it is the responsibility of all competitors and teams to monitor the website for any updates and news: http://www.flyfishingchampionship.com/nalsffc_003.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------

REGISTRATION FOR TEAMS IS NOT OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZED UNTIL THEY COMPLY WITH THE ABOVE MENTIONED BOAT AND OPERATOR LICENSE REQUIREMENTS. ALL TEAMS ARE REQUIRED TO REREGISTER UNDER THE NEW RULES. REGISTRATION IS ACCEPTED ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED BASIS (in order of their compliancy dates).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of Officially Registered Teams - teams currently meeting registration requirements:
(Maximum limit of 14 teams, with 2 spots being reserved for international teams)

Team 1: Team Cormorant
◦ Terence Courtoreille - boat with motor (captain)
◦ Todd Oishi - boat with motor
◦ Rob Stroud - boat with motor
◦ Chris Puchniak - boat with motor
◦ John Nishi

Team 2: Team Riseform
◦ Geoff LeClair - boat with motor (captain)
◦ Darryl Fisher - boat with motor
◦ Mike Ohata - boat with motor
◦ Mike Gass
◦ Lloyd Horwood - boat with motor
◦ Brian Chan (Alternate)

Team 3: Team Mustang
◦ Wayne Yoshizawa - boat with motor (captain)
◦ Norm Godding - boat with motor
◦ Aaron Laing - boat with motor
◦ Alastair Grogan
◦ Matthew Dixon

Team 4: Team Reel Chaos
◦ Johnny Wilkinson - boat with motor (captain)
◦ Tony Moore - boat with motor 
◦ Vance Whitley - boat with motor
◦ Kevin Cucheron
◦ Kathy Ruddick

Team 5: Team Airflo
◦ John Beaven (captain)
◦ Donald Thom - boat and motor
◦ Randy Taylor
◦ Alisdair Mair (resident of Scotland)
◦ Colin Huff

Team 6:  Team Dredgehogs
◦ Andy Larkin - boat with motor (captain)
◦ Mike Oishi - boat and motor
◦ David Forgeron
◦ David Downie (resident of Scotland)
◦ Dale Freschi

Team 7: Team Northern Boyz
◦ Carl Hutchinson (British competitor) (captain)
◦ Justin Hardy
◦ Ian George
◦ Jim Trewin - boat and motor
◦ Gerald Wolfe - boat and motor

Team 8: Team MRFD
◦ Paul Davidson - boat with motor (captain)
◦ Rob Ramsay - boat with motor 
◦ Devin Ramsay - boat with motor
◦ Tim Bernardo
◦ Lyle Heinrich

Team 9: Team Tight Lines
◦ Claude Cipelletti - boat with motor (captain) 
◦ Peter Morrison - boat with motor 
◦ Zac Sexton         (U.S. competitor)
◦ Mark Feldberg
◦ Matthew Mikes
◦ George Watt

Team 10: Team Motley Crew:
◦ Gord Bacon - boat with motor (captain)
◦ Peter Huyghabeart
◦ Brian Daniliczwecz - boat with motor
◦ Pat Porada - boat with motor
◦ James McGillivary

Team 11: Team Freestone USA Fly Fishing Team
◦ Sean Crocker (captain)
◦ Steve Good
◦ Andrew Koons
◦ Kalvin Kaloz
◦ Loren Williams

Team 12: Team FWTFA (Team from the United Kingdom)
◦ Dave Mordue (resident of the United Kingdom) (captain)
◦ Pete Jones (resident of the United Kingdom)
◦ Andy Jones (resident of the United Kingdom)
◦ Alex Harvey (resident of the United Kingdom)
◦ Don Freschi (television show host)

Team 13: Team Canada 2015 YWFFC Team
◦ Brennan Lund  (captain)
◦ Matthew Dirksen
◦ Donny Boake
◦ Evan Paterson
◦ Cody Wolfe

Team 14: Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team
◦ Mattia Mangione  (captain)
◦ Ryan Potts
◦ Mackenzie Harmston
◦ Tyler Denison
◦ Danny Hollins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of Individual Registrants Looking to Join a Team:
(Please post your name to apply for a spot on the individual list).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code of Conduct

Participation in the North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships is a privilege - not a right. All competitors, team managers, coaches, and captains must agree to conduct themselves according to the core values of Fairness, Respect, Integrity, and Accountability and abide by the spirit and dictates of this Code of Conduct.

All participants must agree to comport themselves in a sportsmanlike manner and are responsible for their actions while making preparations and participating at this event. Sportsmanlike conduct is defined as, but not limited to: respect for competition officials, organizers, volunteers, fellow competitors, facilities, venues, the use of courtesy and good manners, acting responsibly and maturely, refraining from the use of profane or abusive language and behavior.

While participating in the North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships:
- Anglers shall also be subject to FFC rules and bylaws, as well as the FFC Code of Conduct.
- Participants shall conduct themselves at all times as worthy representatives of Canada, their region, division, province, or club.
- Participants are responsible for knowledge of an adherence to the competition rules in effect.
- Participants shall maintain high standards of moral and ethical conduct which includes self-control and responsible behavior, consideration for others, and courtesy and good manners.
- No participant shall engage in any conduct that could be perceived as harassment, based upon gender, age, race, religion or disability.
- Organizers reserve the right to eject from the competition and events any person failing to comply with the Code of Conduct. This could lead to further action including, but not limited to, being banned from all future North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships

Failure to provide the required number of boats and licensed operators will result in the rejection of a team's registration and ability to participate at this event. Under absolutely no circumstances will refunds be issued 30 days prior to or during this event.

Failure to comply with any of the above provisions may lead to disciplinary action by FFC and/or the organizing committee of the North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships, including suspension from a team, and/or outright banning from participation at the current and/or future North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:33:26 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
I'm in. No team yet.

mattiamangione

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
What about the youth team, do we have to choose our team or just sign up and get grouped together?

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Mattia (and other Youth Team Members):

There will be a maximum of 2 youth teams (10 competitors) at next year's North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship; one Youth Team will consist of the five team members that are chosen for the Youth National Fly Fishing Team that will be competing at the 2015 Youth WFFC in Colorado, and the other Youth Team will consist of five team members that wish to improve their skills with hopes of qualifying for a spot on the Youth Team that will be competing at the 2016 and/or 2017 Youth WFFCs. The Youth Team members will be selected based on their individual performances during the past 2 year cycle.

Please register your name as a Youth Team Member, and you'll be assigned to a group as soon as the team has been officially selected for the 2015 Youth WFFC. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:50:56 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Matthew Dirksen

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Matt51
    • View Profile
You can put my name down.

Doug Thorpe

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
I am in, where depends on what the team is doing!
I chase the allure of standing in a river, casting dries in an attempt to watch that beast come up and take my fly.  Then I usually blow it by setting the hook to soon....

mattiamangione

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
You can put my name down too

Donny Boake

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. nwt fly fisher
    • View Profile
Sign me up

Noah Kelly

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Sign me up aswell please todd!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for the great response everyone! That's excellent news Norm! I really appreciate the fact that you'll have 9.9 for next year's championship as well!!! :)

Robert Ramsay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Todd
Let me know if I can do anything for the 'Wounded Soldier's Day'

Rob R
"A fisherman is always hopeful, nearly always more hopeful than he has any right to be" - Roderick Haig- Brown

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Thanks Rob! I'll put you down as volunteering.

Will Team MRFD be registering for next year's championship (I assume so, but haven't heard from them)?

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships - June 10-13, 2015
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »
It is with great pleasure to announce a new team for next years NALS!!

Reel Chaos is excited to band together for a run at the big dogs. Having two great friends of mine Gord & Tony joining with Vance & Kevin (Kingfishers) gives us a good combination of skill & whit but most important of all, our team will have a good time with lots of laughs cause that's what it is all about!

Johnny Wilkinson - captain
Tony Moore
Gord Dykstra
Vance Whitley
Kevin Cucheron
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »
Sweet guys!  Best of luck in your planning and strategies!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Coquitlam BC Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »
A little luck never hurt any team.
Thx for passing some our way Chris.    8)
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown