Author Topic: 3wt dilemma  (Read 1430 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
3wt dilemma
« on: July 19, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
Yesterday, i was finished work by 10AM (mostly retired now) and decided to get out onto my local lake 20 min from home.  The last time I was there with my 5/6 Switch, I only caught small ones, the largest being a 12" SM Bass.   So I decided to take my 3wt in order to match the expected size of fish.  Usually bass fishing is best in the early morning and late evening.  Well, this is what I got into almost right away.

And two of them at 18".  SM Bass of this size usually weigh around 4 pounds (I must get a scale....they keep getting heavier). Lots of jumps as SM do.  They are pretty much the equivalent of Rainbows in the way they behave when caught.  It was a bit much for my fast action 3wt. but I got them in.  I also caught four or five 14 and 15" SM and LM. as well as the expected pile of small bass, perch and sunfish.

So what do I do next time?  Bring my 5wt or 3wt ?

As I was bringing in the top fish, a couple of ladies in kayaks came over curious about my float tube and took a picture of me with the fish.  They wanted to show their husbands who were not catching.  I told them that their men would have to learn how to fly fish!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: 3wt dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 01:28:58 PM »
 :)  Sounds like a good problem to have Bob!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:47:33 AM »
4 wt? lol
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »
I'd go with Randy's suggestion. A 4-weight sounds ideal for a situation, and mix of fish sizes, such as you've described!

I nice dilemma to have indeed...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:23:27 AM »
We fish for SM Bass in MB a lot, 100 fish in a day could happen. I found that even 6-weight rod is too light when the size of the fish above 16" and you catch fish after fish - this is the case most of the time. Depend on the fishery and time of the year, I found that SM bass could be very active all day long, they are a warm water species. Yes, SM Bass are good fighters, however I found that they act more like brown trout when you hook them, they try to stay down deep and shake their head, maybe smaller ones in shallower water jump more.

I suggest to use 7-weight rod for SM Bass when 18-inchers are around, however even an 8-weight rod will not be an overkill.

BR, Janos from Manitoba

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »
I solved my 3wt dilemma by bringing my 5 wt 'noodle' rod, very close to a 4wt (no joke).  It was a two piece ten footer built by Igor M (some of you will know who that is) which I bought from him at a swap.   I grew up casting fiberglass rods so I can really lop flies around with this one.  Actually it is my favorite dry fly rod.  The whipping action dries the flies really well.  And it is sensitive enough for all the small fish you always catch with warm water specie fishing.   

I almost always fish with two flies.   Two small fish can give as good a fight as one much larger.  Those of you who fish bass waters will know what I am talking about. There is an expression  around here started by Brian Graves, "If you are not catching bass, you are not in the water".

I saw this floating around today at my local lake.  I suspect the spiked dorsal fin must have got caught in the bass' mouth.  It should have been able to handle a dinner this size but I guess not.

Got three size-able Bass today with the 5wt and it felt just right.  No need for the 8 wt but the fighting butt would be welcome.  You are going to get two or three runs off of these LM and SM.  The LM will head for weeds and you sometimes have to crank on them pretty hard so if you are near weeds, you better have the heavier duty hardware.   The SM just tire themselves out by jumping much to our delight. 

Doug Thorpe

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »
What is said fish that was the demise of the bass?
I chase the allure of standing in a river, casting dries in an attempt to watch that beast come up and take my fly.  Then I usually blow it by setting the hook to soon....

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 04:30:58 PM »
Perch.  It is the one species that I will keep if I get them big enough.   They eat a lot of the food that would otherwise go to the bass (or trout).  I will keep a bass if it is in a lake that is competing with my target fish (getting late in the season though).
bj