Author Topic: Catch and Release Techniques  (Read 11030 times)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Catch and Release Techniques
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 03:37:18 PM »
Thanks Bob and Alex!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 03:11:03 AM »
Here is a a thorny question that not may would like:  for the  catch-and-release anglers,  fishing with barbless hooks, is it absolutely necessary to photograph the fish? Is it important to hole a tired fish outside of the water to have trophy picture?
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
I only photograph trout if the surface temp is below 65F.  Most of the time I don't even net the fish (if I do, I keep the net in the water).  I usually can quickly run my hand down the line, grab the hook with my camera ready in the other hand.  They often settle right down if you twist them briefly on their side.  Click then a flick, and it is gone.   Our trout waters in the east are approaching 68F.  The smaller brook trout lakes are already at 75F (surface temp which usually goes down 10ft). Bill Spicer says that we should leave trout fishing at 68F.

On my last trout outing the ST was 66F and I did not take any pics. In fast and off. I'm even thinking of dulling some flies in order to have more 'long line releases' at this time of year.   All of this is entirely self serving.  I want to catch these fish again when they are larger!

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »
Effect of catch-and-release angling on growth and
survival of rainbow trout,
Oncorhynchus mykiss
K.L.POPE,G.R.WILDE&D.W.KNABE
Wildlife and Fisheries Management Institute, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX, USA

http://www.pipam.it/PDF/Catch_Effect.pdf
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman