Author Topic: Fly Fishing Trip to Pennask Lake, British Columbia  (Read 937 times)

Todd_Oishi

Fly Fishing Trip to Pennask Lake, British Columbia
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:41:18 AM »
Last summer I made my annual pilgrimage to Pennask Lake (in southern British Columbia) with my father and best friend, and I thought I'd post a short pictorial of our day on the water. The fishing was excellent as usual (I quit counting after 60, but caught nothing larger than 14 inches), but it was an unexpected, close-up encounter with the wildlife that made it a most memorable experience for me...

My fly fishing kayaks ready and waiting to hit the water.

A beautiful day to be on the water and in my kayak

My father drifting peacefully in the comfort of his pontoon boat

There was an intense mayfly hatch in the afternoon, so anything that closely resembled this fellow was devoured as soon as it hit the water's surface (gotta love dry fly fishing for wild trout)

A typical Pennask Rainbow Trout, which fell for the charms of my version of the classic Scottish fly pattern called the Kate McLaren

Later in the day, I came across a pair of fawns that were eating the grass along the shoreline, while their mother rested in the nearby brush

I drifted silently into the shoreline and got close enough that this fawn eventually touched its nose on the tip of my kayak as it attempted to figure out what it was. It is at times such as this that I am reminded that its not all about the fishing...

Here's a short portion of a video that I shot later in the day (This video demonstrates an alternative method for detecting strikes with a floating line): http://www.youtube.com/user/Toddoishi?feature=chclk

Robert Stroud

• Fly Fishing Team Canada Member
  • 3 Star Member
  • Prince Geoge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Fly Fishing Trip to Pennask Lake, British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
Hey Todd,
I saw your video, excellent by the way. Are you shooting with a GoPro. I was looking into the HD. I figured it could help me remove some bad habits.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Fly Fishing Trip to Pennask Lake, British Columbia
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »
Thanks Rob (great to see you here as well Buddy)! I have a Go Pro, but forgot it that particular day, so I improvised by duct taping my camera to the underside of the bill on my ball cap. I could at least see where it was pointing, but it was too close to focus my eyes on, so I was basically fishing blind...   ???

The Go Pro is definitely the way to go!!! :)
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...