Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Knots
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:56:55 PM »
I'm guessing we've all probably checked out Grog's site for knots, and I thought it appropriate to reference it here as a great source.  Many knots are explained clearly with step-by-step pictures.

His notes about when and where to use the knots is also handy.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Neville (Nev) Gosling

• 4 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Knots
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »
Thanks Chris. I had not seen this reference before. very useful but still a few knots missing e.g. the turle.

Mike Fourchalk

• 3 Star Member
  • Surrey, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »
Just found this link re knots. Check it out as it has many types and uses of knots
http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
http://www.survivalworld.com/knots/ligature-knot.html

The ligature knot, learn it, use it, and then love it. It's the best mono to flouro knot out there with near 100% strength.

When I was a wee ladd I 'came up ' with this knot as I could never tie a blood knot without stressing the tippet. I called it a sideways blood knot. Now somebody has gone and named it. :)
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
 I wonder if any one  knows how to tie a "mini loop"  to the end of the leader and tippet for a loop to loop connect.   Mini loops are  used in dry fly fishing to connect the tippet to the end of the leader, it is very small,  but facilitates changing the tippet without shortening the leader and at the same time gives a U shape curve to the tippet  when it lands that can buy you a few seconds of drag free floating.
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:49:21 AM »
When recreational fishing with nymphs we use tippet rings they are titanium and float, perhaps something you should look into? You probably already know about and use them.

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:53 AM »
Thanks Chris, that is a great site. Great visual and pace for slow learners like myself.
If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »
Alex, as randy suggests, a 1.5 mm or so micro ring or tippet ring might be the best solution.

Otherwise I have always just used a small perfection loop, and I may use forceps to help tie it smaller (easier than using big thumbs to tie small loops.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Bruce TenHoeve

• 3 Star Member
  • A.K.A. BruceT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »
Great Link Chris,I hadn't seen that one...now I feel Knottier...thx
Always remember to take one more last cast!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
Great Link Chris,I hadn't seen that one...now I feel Knottier...thx

:o  Lol.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 02:33:10 AM »
Chris, using o-rings hurts my image of a serious angler!!!! LOL  ;D
I continue making mini loops to connect the leader to to tippet.  This is not a usual loop made at to connect leader to the fly line!  its simple to make but hard to explain given in words!  I would like to share this with the rest of you fellers, will see if I can find someone to make take pictures that I can post.

Walt Whitman

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 06:41:10 AM »
I'd enjoy that. =)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 08:48:52 AM »
I'd enjoy see it as well. Perhaps using a piece of brightly coloured string would help us to see more clearly the knot that you're describing.

Thanks,
Todd
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:53:04 AM »
I see if I can make small movie clip or picture; my wife has to cooperate! LOL ;D

thanks

Alex
Walt Whitman

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 10:06:58 AM »
Sounds interesting. 

Aside from a Perfection loop, a lot of times I just tie a loop at the end of my leader by folding the leader over on itself, then tying a simple overhand knot (again, with hemostats to keep it small) with the folded-over piece.  Provides a very quick, small, narrow loop great for attaching tippet.

1. Take the leader end and fold it back on itself so you have a bend with the leader going back beside itself for ~3-4cm (could be less, but more is easier to work with).

2. Pinch the bend where it doubles back so you create your "end point" for the loop and it won't unbend if you leave it alone.  This narrows the profile and creates less of a rounded bend.

3. Take the folded leader piece in your hand and tie an overhand knot with it - the point where you pinched the loop should come out as the end of the line now (using hemostats allows you to tie a very tiny loop, but sometimes you don't want it too tiny... allowing it to stretch out and be a bit bigger reduces the bulk somewhat and makes the profile smaller and much slimmer).

4. As it is usually far too small to tighten with your fingers, pull it tight with a fly hook in the loop, and one hand grasping the main leader.

It is not quite as strong as a perfection loop (though 99% of the time the tippet being tied to it is much finer and is the first to break anyways), but it is much smaller in profile, and usually quicker to tie.