Author Topic: 2016 Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships - Merritt, British Columbia  (Read 28644 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
 A well-written article about competitive fly fishing, and press release for the 2016 Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships that was published in the Merritt Herald Newspaper today.

The Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships are coming to Merritt and Princeton, British Columbia on October 4th - 9th, and as was mentioned in this article, we're still looking for more volunteers for the 3 competition days.

Please contact Todd Oishi at: toishis@gmail.com if you or someone you know might be interested in volunteering some of your time or want more information.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:48:19 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Update for August 15, 2016:

Please note the following minor change to the schedule for the 2016 Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships:
1) Vans leaving for Similkameen River sectors will depart from the Ramada Inn in Merritt at 6:00am on all 3 days of the 2016 Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships.

The previous schedule had the vans departing at 6:15am, but an extra 15 minutes has been added to ensure that there is enough time to meet with the controllers and for the competitors to arrive, set up, and walk their beats prior to the start of their session.

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
SEEKING VOLUNTEERS....
Volunteers are being sought for the 2016 Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships, which are being held in Merrit and Princeton. Volunteers will be required for the 3 days of the actual competition sessions: October 5, 6, and 7, 2016.

Please consider volunteering a bit of your time, and enjoy the opportunity to observe and learn from some of Canada's finest competitive fly fishers, and watch as competitors try to qualify for a spot on Canada's National Fly Fishing Teams.

Currently, our greatest need is finding volunteers to serve as judges (A.K.A. Controllers) on the Similkameen River beats, which are situated downstream of the town of Princeton. No previous experience is necessary, as this is a fairly simple duty and training will be provided.

Controllers will be responsible for recording any fish caught on their assigned competitor's scorecard. Controllers are not required to handle fish or enter the water, and may sit in the comfort of a lawnchair while monitoring their assigned competitior.

Competitors will net their fish and hold it up briefly for the controller to visually verify and record the fish as a single point on their scorecard. All fish must be released in good health and unharmed or penalty points will be issued.

This is an excellent opportunity to learn some new techniques while observing the fly patterns, techniques, and tactics that are employed by some of Canada's best and highly-skilled fly fishers.

We are still looking for 6 more volunteers for the 3 days of this event. Please consider volunteering and help us to spread this request.

Please contact Todd Oishi for more information or to volunteer: toishis@gmail.com or click on the following link for more information: www.2016nffc.com
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:59:33 PM by Todd Oishi »

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Alberta
    • View Profile
**************Team mate required !!!!!! *************

We just had a last second cancellation and in urgent need of a competitor!!!
Plz PM me if you are interested.
Thx
Vance
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Update for Aigust 29, 2016:

Please note the following items regarding the  unofficial and official practice sessions:

- The 3 competition lakes will remain open for practicing leading up to the competition, but will be closed for fishing on October 4, 2016.
- Competitors are responsible for the costs associated with boat rentals during all practice sessions.
- Competitors are responsible for reserving their boat rentals on all 3 competiton venues.
- Competitors and their associates are not allowed to fish the competition venues during the closure periods.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:07:02 AM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships - Merritt, British Columbia
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2016, 07:08:54 AM »
Please note the following changes to the schedule for the 2016 Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships, as Fly Fishing Canada has postponed their AGM until next year's NFFC:

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 - Corbett Lake Lodge:
 Vans depart the Ramada Inn for Corbett Lake Lodge: 2:00pm
 Conservation Symposium: 3:00pm
 Opening Ceremonies: 4:00pm
 Dinner: 5:00pm
 Captains’ Meeting: 6:00pm
 Vans depart Corbett Lake for the Ramada Inn: TBD

Note: All competition lakes and the Similkameen River are closed to fishing for Competitors and their Associates and agents on October 4th.

All comments or discussions regarding the cancellation of AGM should be made on the following thread, which was split from this topic:  http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2747.0
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:18:48 AM by Todd Oishi »

Claude Cipelletti

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. troutseeker
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships - Merritt, British Columbia
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2016, 07:50:01 PM »
Hello, trout the trout bums now have a full team. See all of you soon!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:56:19 AM by Claude Cipelletti »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2016, 06:44:07 AM »

Please note that the beat markers have been placed on all 10 of the Similkameen River beats. Beat markers have been set to identify the beat divider (halfway mark) and the upper and lower boundaries of the beat. Maps of the competition beats will be emailed to all teams later this afternoon.

Please remember that the Similkameen River between the 2 highway bridges downstream of the town of Princeton is closed to angling for all competitors and their associates and agents. Competitors are permitted to practice upstream of the highway bridge in the town of Princeton, and downstream of the highway bridge that is situated 5 kilometres below Bromley Rock. The area between the 2 highway bridges are strictly off limits.

Thank-you,
Todd

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:59:04 PM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2016, 07:17:46 PM »
Please remember that PFDs and eye protection must be worn at all times during the river and lake competition and official practice sessions.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2016, 10:08:03 AM »
Beat maps have been sent out to all of the teams. Please email me if you didn't receive yours: toishis@gmail.com

Please view and print copies of these maps and forward a copy of each map to your team mates for reference before and during the competition sessions. It is the team's captain's responsibility to ensure that their team members have access to these maps and distribute copies of these maps to their team members.

The beats draws will be in a sealed envelope and opened when the vans arrive at the venues, at which time your team members will be informed as to which beats they will be fishing on for those sessions.

Thank-you,
Todd Oishi

John Wilkinson

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2016, 12:01:17 PM »
I would like beats B9 & Z4 please. Thanks ;)

Johnnybeatz
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Attention Ramada Inn guests:

Please note that I've spoken to the manager at the Ramada Inn, and they've agreed to open their breakfast area half hour earlier than normal (5:30am) to accommodate the needs of the competitors that are staying at the Ramada Inn, and wish to eat breakfast in the morning before departing on the 6:00am shuttles.

Todd
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:40:15 PM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Here is the draw for team numbers and competitor letters:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:07:07 PM by Todd Oishi »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Here are the official results after Session 4 of the 2016 Canadian National Fly Fishing Championship. Tomorrow is the final day of this event. Good-luck to all of the teams and individuals!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Hard to believe that nearly 2,000 fish were caught over that 3 day period (1,987).  Some beautiful whitefish, nice rainbows, and a smattering of westslope cutthroat.  Not too sure if any other species were caught, but I like that list so far.

It was unfortunate that the water levels in the river dropped as much as they did, leading possibly to the mass migration of the rainbows out of the sections of the river we fished.  But the whitefish sure made up for that loss.  With beat catches in the 30-50 range in many sessions, and many in the 20's, it at least helped keep the controllers busy.  And thanks to them for being there!

Each of the lakes was fantastic, and each fished differently, which made it a good challenge.  Really impressed with the health of the fish.  I could fish those lakes pretty much every day and not get bored.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.