Author Topic: Blue Fox Camp  (Read 978 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
Blue Fox Camp
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:04:37 PM »

I was asked to accompany Mark Melnyk (above), a host for the New Fly Fisher, as a 'stillwater expert' on a shoot at Blue Fox Camp in Algoma country.  It is a 20 minute plane ride north or Blind River or a two to three hour rough quad trail.  I had Mark land the fish  as I had just lost one at the tube (the only other one caught at that lake).  They needed this fish for various shots.    It was caught on Todd's Vampire Leech.
These walk-in lakes are rather unique.  There are no minnows and they are stocked on a Life Span basis, ie, every five years and not many.  There is no competition for food.  Catch a fish and it will be the same age and size.

This fish was caught at another walk-in lake near the camp.  They are all three years old.  The three year olds around Ottawa are half that size! I landed four and lost four in the few hours we were there.
The main lake where the camp is located (Kirkpatrick Lake or Blue by the locals) has natural reproducing Rainbows, Brookies and Lakers.  The spawning stream runs through the center of the camp.
Great food, sauna by the stream and rustic buildings.  I'd sure like to go back some time. http://bluefoxcamp.com/

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Fox Camp
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:06:41 PM »
Nice!! Very nice fish and pics, thanks to posting them. Br, Janos

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 07:17:14 AM »
Nice !
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 08:34:29 AM »
Very nice report and excellent photos! Thanks for taking the time to post this report!

Cheers,
Todd
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...