Author Topic: sinking lines and boobies  (Read 2672 times)

Ray Magnan

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. creekside
    • View Profile
sinking lines and boobies
« on: May 12, 2016, 07:51:24 AM »
hey all season is almost here in jasper. Last year I tried boobies with darn good success, but in the typical depth i fish (15' ) I find that the a full sinking line at a 40 to 50  foot cast the fly is only in the zone for about maybe 15'.  Have been looking around on UK sites and the new rage seems to be the  Airflow's Forty plus Booby basher line ( basically a 30' type 7 sinking shooting head) this makes sense to me. With the thin running line with a fast sinking  head this combination should easily get to the bottom as fast but would improve overall casting distance from the boat which means the fly is in the zone longer.  Unfortunatly this line is not available in Canada yet. So before I start chopping perfectly good lines was hoping someone has some advice.
Em I out to lunch on this theory? Has anyone tried using a sinking shooting heads?
appreciate any advice.
Ray

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
Re: sinking lines and boobies
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 08:39:44 AM »
Hello Ray, you might want to check this http://www.garryevans.co.uk/airflo-sixth-sense-fly-lines-with-free-hardy-marksman-fly-line-217-p.asp and buy the DI8 line. I've bought from them and shipping to Canada was cheap and fast.
I was looking for Booby basher line too, but no luck.

Ray Magnan

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. creekside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »
airflow has a forty plus sinking line with a 30' head in lighter line weights. Just can't afford another line and would rather butcher on of my older sinkers and see how it works before purchasing from the UK

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »
Ray - We (I) use a lot of bastardized shooting-head lines, mostly in the rivers here on Vancouver Island.  I use usually RIO .024"Powerflex shooting line (which has a loop at the business end) and then  make up various lengths of various sink-rate lines.  I do loops at one end (using unwaxed tying thread and UV cure resin) and at the business end I put a 3mm tippit ring, again using a loop (tight to the ring) and then the thread/UV cure (easier on your line than a loop).  I use untapered pieces of old lines to make the shooting heads.  On the river I am using a 7wt, so I carry home-made heads in 10', 15' and the odd 25' in various sink rates.  It takes a bit of practice casting such a rig, but it works very well.  Change the length/grains per foot head to suit conditions (loop to loop for fast changes).  It would take a bit of trial and error for lake use, but I have used 32' heads in salt water for Sockeye, that run 30-40 feet deep. I have also used 24' sink tips with boobies with good success in a few local lakes. So this system will let you fish various depths (after some trial and error) without breaking the bank.   You can also buy bulk, level sinking line at Wholesale sports.  I use this a lot.  It comes in 7, 9 and 11" /sec sink rates.
 Tight lines.
I Fish - therefore I am!

Ray Magnan

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. creekside
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 08:24:39 AM »
Picked up a rio outbound short type 7 sinking works great.