Author Topic: drogue for drift boats  (Read 3233 times)

Ray Magnan

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. creekside
    • View Profile
drogue for drift boats
« on: June 09, 2016, 08:27:55 AM »
Need advice on type and brands available in Canada.
Boat is a hyde low pro. Boat is very heavy due to the number of batteries I need to fish Maligne Lake safely
Ray

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: drogue for drift boats
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 10:08:27 AM »
Both Grey's and Winchwood sell drogues. A paradrogue would better suit your needs.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Ray Magnan

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. creekside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 04:28:33 AM »
are they available in Canada? Have looked at both brands in the UK but the postage and handling was more than the actual cost of the drogue!!

Ray

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 06:54:48 AM »
I could not find a retailer in Canada either. You might try eBay, when I checked it in the wintertime the shipping cost was not that bad, maybe around $15 CAD - it is worth it.
I got an Airflo one, it is just awesome.

Andy Larkin

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 07:06:09 PM »
Robinsons in Victoria still had one greys paradrogue the last time I was in a week and a bit ago.

Give Matt King a call as they can ship them Canada wide.

Ray Magnan

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. creekside
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:49:43 AM »
Thanks Andy on the tip.. Purchased the last Greys in stock at Robinson's. Should be here mid week. Plan on using it this Thursday on Maligne lake (home water) . Going to pick up 2 small c clamps to attach the drogue to the boat. Would appreciate some help on the following questions.
Do you attach the drogues ropes directly to the boat or do I need additional rope?
How do you adjust for minor changes in direction while drifting?
Do I need a rope float?

Thanks in advance Ray

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 06:54:07 AM »
Not too sure how the greys comes but I have about 6 to 8 feet of rope to each tether which is added to the 3 feet the drogue came with.  It drifts about 10' from my boat.

You don't need a float rope really with a paradrogue, but I guess you can add one to each side.

You can make minor adjustments by the angle of your motor as a rudder.  Or, the closer the 2 clamps are to the stearn, the more the boat will drift to the left  (or to the stearn).  The closer to the bow, the more the stearn swings out and you drift more to the right.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Andy Larkin

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 07:48:25 AM »
Thanks Andy on the tip.. Purchased the last Greys in stock at Robinson's. Should be here mid week. Plan on using it this Thursday on Maligne lake (home water) . Going to pick up 2 small c clamps to attach the drogue to the boat. Would appreciate some help on the following questions.
Do you attach the drogues ropes directly to the boat or do I need additional rope?
How do you adjust for minor changes in direction while drifting?
Do I need a rope float?

Thanks in advance Ray

The greys comes with two carabiner connections at the end of each rope end.

If you have your boat rigged with Scotty anchor locks, you can always run them at 90 degrees back or slightly inward to allow quick adjustments on your drift by shortening one end of the other.

Ray Magnan

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. creekside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 08:49:33 AM »
Thanks Andy.Have anchor lock on the bow but it's being used for the 20lbs anchor, back is your typical drift boat floor anchor system.  I'll have to play around with the c clamps and figure out a way to shorten or lengthen drogue ropes as needed. Pretty pumped about using a drogue, there is a stretch of 15 foot deep water that's really flat and runs for a couple of kilometers or so and the wind is very predictable, blows up lake in the morning and switches direction in the after noon. I'll report how this all works out.

Again thanks for the advice. 

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »
Order mine in from Essential Fly in England.
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd. GAIA Certified Instructor
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia