Author Topic: Classic Wet Flies for an Adirondack Adventure  (Read 1566 times)

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Classic Wet Flies for an Adirondack Adventure
« on: June 30, 2016, 04:47:02 PM »
Hey guys, went back upstate to my beloved Adirondacks  Mountains a couple days ago to do some Brook Trout fishing.  I brought with me some of the Classic Ray Bergman flies  (Ref:Trout, wet fly plates 1-9 ) and my trusty little 7 footer, perfect for the brushy mountain rivers and streams found up there and had at it.  My rigup was a 2 fly setup, dry attractor on top, usually a Coachmen or a Wulff, size 14 with a classic wet, also a size 14  tied off the hook about 6" below, all on 5x mono/12ft leader.  It was SO EFFECTIVE! I had a great time, only caught 15 Brookies, but caught 3times as many Chubs, for a total of about 60 fish, every few minutes, catching a fish, landing/releasing and setting up for the next one , great time!!  I used the Adirondack pattern which worked pretty well but noticed that the Parmachene Belle was even better.  Felt like I had travelled back in time and was fishing a form and style that has long been forgotten in the flyfishing world: well, almost maybe    8)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Classic Wet Flies for an Adirondack Adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:57:38 PM »
Nice!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Classic Wet Flies for an Adirondack Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 09:03:44 AM »
Great post and fishing report, David. Those are some pretty impressive numbers!

Gotta love it when experimenting with patterns and techniques pays off. That's what I love most about this sport!

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...