Author Topic: Bass time in Ontario  (Read 1991 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
Bass time in Ontario
« on: July 03, 2016, 11:15:58 AM »

We've had a couple of weeks of bass fishing now in Ontario.  They moved the opening up a week in the southern region as they felt that the desirable bass had already completed spawning.  This assumes a general warming trend but we didn't get it this Spring.  We had at a week or more less of C&R trout fishing.  I don't fish for trout when the surface temperature passes 72F.
But bass fishing especially SM are just as much fun and you usually catch quite a few, sometimes without having to travel very far.  This LM was a bit further away at a private lake that doesn't get much attention.  I landed at least 20 like this and bigger (4#) and lost as many in 6 hours of fishing.  All on my new favorite fly, The Minky Mouse, which I will post some time.

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bass time in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 05:39:35 PM »
Hey Bob, congrats!  Thats a topwater pattern  I assume?

Love flyfishin for Bass in the Summer!  Easier to have success and they fight SO damn hard! :)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:44:57 PM »
Very nice! I caught my first "bass on the fly" on the Grand River in Ontario. A great fish in a fly!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:35:47 AM »
I've named it the "Minky Mouse" because it has a mink strip wound around under a foam pull over but it is so popular with all the various warm water species that it gets beat up prematurely.  Once I figure out how to extend its life, I will post a pic and instructions.  You can see an early version on my blog.

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 12:41:23 PM »
Yes, I  checked it out, great fly! :)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 03:30:08 PM »
Just was out fishing with it today at some local water.  Fish with small mouths could barely get it in but they were trying!  Can't wait to try it as an indicator for trout with whatever below.  Floats like a cork.