Author Topic: 2016 Trojan pond fundraiser  (Read 1059 times)

John Wilkinson

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
2016 Trojan pond fundraiser
« on: August 22, 2016, 11:30:13 AM »
This years (fun)raiser was as good as always. The organizer's of this event did another great job ensuring our days spent there was a pleasant one! There was a total of 25 boats this year and we had lots of room to do our thing. The lake itself was in great shape (hats off to Mike Ohata). The water was low, cool and clear. I could see the bottom at 10' of depth :o. The hatches were like the ol' days with mayflies, damsel's, dragons, caddis and chronies coming off at different times of the day. And to boot on derby day there was a termite hatch that hit the lake in the morning and the water was boiling with fish slashing and sipping right up until lunch. The fish were bigger and fatter than June and looked really good. I think Tony and I over the two days landed one fish under 25cm.
This year to make it easier on the handling of fish they awarder a fish over 25cm as one fish on your score card. A laminated card (25cm) with a picture of a fish on it was used to put in the net with the fish and a picture to be taken and then the time was recorded on your score sheet. If a tagged fish was caught the color and tag # were recorded and the angler was awarded an extra fish. This system was excellent as the fish stayed in the net and were released quickly. Tie breakers went to the earliest fish caught.
Prizes went out to the top three teams, top female fish caught(Cindy Davidson) and two hidden time fish and again there were lots of silent auction items and two big live auction items to help raise money.

Congrats to my brother Bryan and Dale(Smitty) Smith on a third place finish with 17 fish counted. :)

And an even bigger congrats to Kevin Cucheron & Vance Whitley for a second place finish with 18 fish caught and no tagged fish! ;)

As for First place.... just a couple of babbling Cummins employees that fluked out in the afternoon in a come from behind finish with a 19 fish count 8)

Johnnyojan
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Mike Learmonth

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Trojan pond fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:34:04 PM »
Well done guys!
Sounds like another good event.
Team Kingfisher member

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »
Great job and fundraiser!!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »
Awesome report!  Congrats to the top 3 teams - well deserved!

That is great about the conditions of the lake!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.