Author Topic: End of trout season  (Read 1181 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
End of trout season
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:25:54 AM »

Yesterday it was +10 with slight overcast, no wind.  Today -1, snowing and blowing and the future looks cold and miserable.  I think it is over.
So, I went to my secret place not too far from home for one last go at it.  It hasn't been the best of fall fishing for me.  I've had several outings with few fish.  Two days ago at a Rainbow lake with reportedly large trout , I had only one hit, only to discover my fly was off.  I was in 44 FOW with an intermediate so it wasn't a snag.  Previously, I had hooked into some wood near the shore and had to poke at with my paddle.  I made a mistake which given my 50 years of flyfishing, I should not have.  I did not carefully examine by line or connection.  I have also been using 5 year old 3X leader.  New stuff is in order, and some discipline.

Anyway, at a brookie lake I spotted a group of eight of them mulling around close together in social/mating mood.  First cast with a Coney Leech got a hookup and then I changed over to an orange phentex humpy.  I'm told that orange and red are 'angry' colours for mating male brookies.

Then I went to another area and I counted around 100 of them.  It was like shooting apples in a barrel.  Pretty easy fishing.  Landed about ten of them.

I don't have ethical problems in fishing for spawning (or hopeful spawning) brook trout in my local lakes.  We don't have the conditions for successful spawning.  There are a few lakes near and in Algonquin Park that have those conditions along with special regs including no ice fishing.

I wish we had no ice fishing.  The lakes will be frozen soon and the slaughter will begin once the ice is firm.

Nice way to end the season.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:25:29 PM by Bob Jurmain »

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
Re: End of trout season
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:27:41 PM »
Don't understand why the picture doesn't fit.  To view each entire picture right click on "view image".

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
Great report and observations on the "aggressive" tendencies' of the Brookies, Bob!

I hope next season is a great one for you and your lake fishing! 
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:53:16 PM »
Nice Bob!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.